Rock ‘N’ Reel: Jammin for a cause

A&M Paradigm supports Leukemia and Lymphoma Society with concert event
Photo by Karis Olson
Guests enjoy live music at Rock ‘N’ Reel, hosted by Paradigm, benefiting the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society on Saturday, March 2, 2024 at Wolf Pen Creek.

Texas A&M’s Paradigm, a men’s student organization, held its annual Rock ‘N’ Reel event on March 2. Rock ‘N’ Reel is a daylong extravaganza of live music, local vendors and a sunset movie screening, all with the aim of raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society while supporting current Aggies fighting these cancers.

Aerospace engineering senior Luke Bedrosian, the president of Paradigm, said he feels Rock ‘N’ Reel is an opportunity for the A&M community to come together for a good cause.

“It’s great to see them display what they have for the community,” Bedrosian said. “Rallying for the support of all the fellow Aggies brings us all together.”

Industrial distribution senior Seth Langston, the co-philanthropy chair, said Paradigm initially started philanthropy in support of one of its founding members, who was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma shortly after founding the organization.

“One of our very first philanthropy events was for pancreas chemo treatments,” Langston said. “It sort of evolved into us giving back to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.”

Entomology senior RJ Flores, a former philanthropy executive, expressed Paradigm’s desire to create an event where it actively engages the community.

“Last year we wanted to do something that involved the community a little more, make it an all day thing,” Flores said. “We brought out the vendors, the live music, just a chill day to sit back and relax, but everything is going towards a good cause.”

One of the bands featured, Pitch, currently has a member fighting their own battle with cancer. 

“A portion of our proceeds will be going towards their lead guitarist, who was diagnosed with Leukemia over the winter break,” Bedrosian said. 

With the second installment of Rock ‘N’ Reel, Flores sees it as the perfect opportunity to increase their organization’s visibility and outreach efforts.

“We are just looking forward to getting our name out there,” Flores said.“We want the recognition and want them to know we stand for something more than just a men’s org.”

Given the impressive turnout at this year’s event, Langston desires to expand it even further in the coming years.

“I am really excited to see it get bigger and bigger every year,” Langston said. “Hopefully get bigger names, more bands, vendors in general.”