No. 13 A&M upsets No. 5 Virginia in dominant fashion 4-1

Satirical website presents skewed take on Greek life

What started as a website has launched into a phenomenon. With a New York Times Best Seller and the rough outlines of an impending movie, Total Frat Move has morphed into a state of mind.
Created in 2010 by Ross Bolen at Texas State, Total Frat Move, or TFM for short, exists according to its website to offer a satiric and often unabashedly blunt genre of comedy from the perspective of America’s privileged youth.
Its so ridiculous that you can laugh at it, said Shelby Taylor, sophomore psychology major and member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. I feel like its humorous, but you shouldnt take it 100 percent seriously.
Taylor said TFM is popular because it can be relatable to members of Greek life, though she said many of the situations are exaggerated.
It draws peoples attention because its something that they are a part of, Taylor said.
The franchise, known for its vulgar references and humor, often discusses topics such as excessive drinking, hazing and sex. The website connects with users through twitter accounts, satirical news updates and its latest addition, the book Total Frat Move. According to the Austin Business Journal, the website receives up to 18 million page views a month. TFM has even opened a merchandise line, Rowdy Gentleman.
Philip Neal, senior sports management major and member of Phi Beta Sigma a multi-cultural fraternity said TFM does not showcase the positives of being a member of a fraternity or sorority.
I feel like everyone behind the movement is on the outside looking in and only sees the negatives that Greek life brings, Neal said. They dont know the positives.
Neal also said that members of the Greek community are not perfect, and should not be judged more harshly than anyone else.
Although we are supposed to be held to a higher degree, at the end of the day we are still college kids we are still humans, Neal said.
With a vocabulary that refers to women as slam pieces, some believe TFM portrays Greek life in a negative light.
Senior political science major Matt Millslagle said TFM only tells one side of the story.
[TFM] stereotypes and takes away from what Greek life should be, Millslagle said. It should be about a group of people moving toward becoming better people.
Junior sports management major, Casey Gilbert said she is opposed to the TFM movement and how it mocks individuals not associated with Greek life.
You dont have to be Greek to have friends or to be a part of something, Gilbert said. I find it offensive as a non-Greek to be referred to as lowly because we chose not to go Greek.
Senior accounting major and member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity Barrett Watson said TFM acts as a satirical outlet, and that it should not be taken seriously by anyone. He said TFM has had very little affect on Texas A&M fraternities.
The TFM movement certainly is raising awareness, but it is the actual fraternities here at A&M, the current actives of those fraternities and the values and ideals that we hold close that are bringing in each new pledge class, Watson said.