Screening to spotlight global struggle for women’s education

‘Girl Rising” demands awareness for the 66 million girls missing from classrooms around the world.
In celebration of International Women’s Day, Aggie Women in Leadership, MSC Aggie Cinema and Life 2 Love will present the film “Girl Rising,” which follows the stories of girls who are fighting to receive an education in underdeveloped parts of the world.
Jillian Gonzalez, student worker for the Women’s Resource Center and senior psychology major, said the film seems as if it will present a moving and inspiring message. The difficulties faced by women and girls fighting to receive an education are inextricably linked to culture and politics, Gonzalez said.
“In several countries around the world this is a political issue,” Gonzalez said. “This means that there are severe ramifications for women going against the norm.”
Even though Aggie women may be far removed from these issues. Gonzalez said that due to an unspoken sisterhood of sorts, women are never that far from the issue.
“It is important to recognize that while we are far away from them physically, we are women just like them,” Gonzalez said. “We cannot turn a blind eye to their struggles.”
According to its website, the Girl Rising campaign focuses on the “value of a girl.” Megan Quinn, member of Life 2 Love and senior international studies major, said girls should be valued at an equivalent rate to their male counterparts.
“The value of a girl is the value of any other human being,” Quinn said. “Women and girls are seen as less than human. In the U.S. we see education as a human right. So by not allowing girls to receive an education, we are lowering them to a status less then human.”
Quinn said the film focuses on multiple difficulties and forms of discrimination that she believes can be alleviated by greater access to education.
“They face a lot of issues like sex trafficking and violence against women that I feel can be prevented by receiving an education,” Quinn said.
Christine Woods, MSC Aggie Cinema Chair and senior computer science major, said she hopes students use their opportunities at A&M to help others in these developing countries further their education. Woods said she hopes that, with this film, MSC Aggie Cinema Club can have a hand in establishing a new tradition at A&M.
Quinn said she hopes people leave the film with the desire to take action.
“I think people should understand that one girl, given the chance and given a voice, can change the world,” Quinn said
The film will be shown at 7 p.m. Thursday in Rudder Plaza. Admission is free.