Senator commits to pass anti-bullying law

David Molak passed away Jan. 4 in San Antonio

Two weeks after San Antonio teen David Molak committed suicide — reportedly because of cyberbullying — his brothers’ push for legal action that would hopefully prevent similar incidents has taken another step forward.

David Molak’s Aggie brothers, Chris and Cliff Molak have been trying to construct an anti-cyberbullying bill with a team of lawyers to present “David’s Law” to Texas Legislation, which would hold those charged with harassment on social media to pay a $500 fee or spend up to a year in prison.

Inspired by David’s case, Texas Sen. José Menéndez has organized a ‘Community Workshop on Cyberbullying’ which will take place on Jan. 21 in San Antonio to craft anti-cyberbullying legislation. Sen. Menéndez will hear from community members such as school administrators and law enforcement as well as the family of Matt Vasquez who was also bullied online.  

“Our laws need to keep pace with evolving technology,” Menéndez said in a press release Tuesday. “Students like David Molak and Matt Vasquez were being harassed and threatened on social media — not in the gym locker room. David’s Law will update our anti-bullying laws to incorporate social media. It will also empower law enforcement and school administrators to go after and punish the bullies who prey on students.”

Cliff Molak, Class of 2015, said he was pleasantly surprised to hear about the community workshop and he only heard about it a few hours after the press release was sent out.

“Through the overwhelming support David and our family have received over the past two weeks, we were lucky enough to get the legislative ball rolling to get David’s Law passed in 2017,” Cliff Molak said. “Bullying is something just about everyone goes through during some point in their lives, so it’s surprising how many people have been able to relate to and share his story. I’m honored to be able to do my part to ensure David’s Law is passed and contribute to David’s everlasting legacy.”

The Molak brothers said so far they have received tremendous support from the San Antonio and Aggie communities. The Molaks have received more than $77,500 on a GoFundMe to donate to a charity of their choosing, and the A&M chapter of Beta Theta Pi — Chris Molak’s current fraternity and the fraternity Cliff was also in during his undergraduate career — will be changing their philanthropy to combat cyber bullying.