No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Serenity and tea

Om Grown Yoga  and Tea Bar combines yoga with tea to help students find a moment of serenity during their busy weeks.

With the purpose of achieving mental, physical and spiritual health, Om Grown Yoga and Tea Bar has built a welcoming community for students of all kinds to come and find a state of serenity and a rewarding cup of tea.
Located in Downtown Bryan on 27th Street, Om Grown Yoga has affected many practiced yogis and students new to the world of yoga. Established in 2013 by Bryan native Lexi Alexander, the studio’s mission statement has focused on spreading people’s love of the mat within the community. From an AntiGravity Restorative flow to Wall Spinal Rejuvenation classes, Om Grown Yoga offers a variety of new opportunities to students.
While yoga studios have been intimidating to Victor Villasana, English sophomore, in the past, he said Om Grown Yoga is the place to try new things because of the experienced guidance offered in every class and the accepting atmosphere the locale has created.
“Education is key to them,” Villasana said. “Since the first time I came in, I knew I could push myself to move my body in new and different ways. The environment they’ve fostered here really makes it feel like we’re a family. There’s never a time where I feel like a fish out of water, so to speak, and each time I feel like the experience makes me feel stronger — not just physically but mentally as well.”
Besides the community Om Grown Yoga has created, Rachel Srack, biology freshman, said when she goes, she loves being able to take her mind off her responsibilities to center herself and enjoy the experience.
“It’s just a beautiful place,” Srack said. “If you ever do the AntiGravity class, the sight of people hanging upside down from the ceiling can be so breathtaking. The walls are made of red brick, so that also gives it a really cool aesthetic. It’s kind of like you’ve checked out from reality for a while, and you just get to relax, not worry about homework, and drink some good Matcha tea.”
Nancy Juvrud, Class of 1976, said among the vast list of classes offered, her favorites are Wall class, Sunday Service and Friday’s noon cocooning class, where she gets to hang from the hammocks. According to Juvrud, each class has pushed her to increase flexibility, confidence and knowledge of the practice, but above all, has allowed her to bond with others in the class.
“The space at Om Grown is welcoming,” Juvrud said. “There is tea after class and the participants are encouraged to sit and visit with others or just enjoy the space. It’s become a family community for me. Sunday Service with Michelle is probably my favorite class because it ends the week with a quiet restorative workout followed by Shivasana or Yogic Sleep.”
Brooke Berner, anthropology senior, said she enjoys the mental aspects of the classes in addition to their freshly made teas.
“Yoga is a very personal journey,” Berner said. “You get to push yourself on your own terms and discover things about your body that you otherwise couldn’t have known. You take your time and push your limits when you’re ready, and Om Grown really stresses that in their practices.”