Smallcakes, big flavors

Photo by Photo by Mason Rackley

Smallcakes offers a variety of cupcake flavors, ranging from traditional favorites like Strawberry to bold choices like Kentucky Bourbon.

The cozy new cupcake shop is now serving a constantly-changing roster of uniquely flavored cupcakes and ice cream.
Located on University Drive, College Station’s newest cupcake shop, Smallcakes, opened its doors this month. By offering flavors such as maple bacon and strawberry margarita, business owner Sharla Watts makes sure that cupcake connoisseurs never go hungry.
“We have 12 signature flavors that we have daily,” Watts said. “We also have a couple of specialty flavors that we rotate out daily. We offer some really different cupcakes.”
SmallCakes keeps old favorites like chocolate, strawberry, and wedding cake on offer every day, but those craving something more offbeat might be interested in their rotating specialty flavors. Watts said Smallcakes has 300 cupcake recipes, and some of them are quite unique.
“We do tons of chocolate [cupcakes] that we cross over with other flavors. Chocolate orange, chocolate strawberry, chocolate cherry, chocolate cheesecake, chocolate mocha…” Watts said. “We did one last weekend that was made with Kentucky bourbon.”
Fruit flavors, bubble gum, and stout beer cupcakes are among the long list of flavors Smallcakes offers seasonally. Whether you’re feeling adventurous or craving an traditional treat, Smallcakes is ready to serve up favorites along with two scoops of ice cream in a creation which they call the cupcake smash.
“We take any cupcake flavor along with any two ice cream flavors and sandwich them together.” Sharla explains. “It’s small batch ice cream that we do in-house. I make a batch or two a day, and we keep [the flavors] rotating out every day.”
Aaron Aust, statistics sophomore said he is a repeat customer at Smallcakes because the cupcake smash keeps him coming back.
“I got the cupcake smash, which is a cupcake cut in half with two scoops in the middle,” Aaron said. “I came back for the cookie dough flavor, I’ve been waiting for it!”
Joshua Admire, graduate student, said his long-awaited chocolate cream cupcake reminded him of a familiar treat.
“When we came here a couple of weeks ago, it was one that I wanted to try first,” Admire said. “When I came back, I knew I had to try it. It reminds me of a Hostess cupcake.”
For a look at Smallcakes’ menu, visit www.smallcakescupcakery.com.