Sophomores prepare for Pull Out Day

Photo by photo by Erica Buehler
Pullout Day Preview

Hoping to end the semester with a big whoop, the Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 2020 will gather together as they celebrate the completion of their sophomore year.
Class Councils will host Pull Out Day this Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., where the Class of 2020 will gather together for their first official “whoop.” The event will take place in the grassy area of Lot 100A by Reed Arena and Aggies will finish the celebration as they travel to Blue Bell Park for Texas Aggie Baseball game against LSU at 6:30 p.m.
Partnering up with MSC Town Hall, Class Councils will bring live bands, as well as a DJ and several student performances such as Fade to Black, the Aggie Wranglers and the Aggie Dance Team. The Yell Leaders and Reveille will also be in attendance by the iconic whoop letters for photo opportunities. Pull Out Day T-shirts will be available for sale and the money will go toward fundraising for the class gift.
Pull Out Day signifies when an Aggie can finally “pull out” their junior privilege to whoop. Traditionally this day coincides with an Aggie baseball game where all of the class can practice whooping together during the game.
Samuel Kotch, applied mathematics sophomore and head director of Pull Out Day, said in 2004, no traditions were designated for the sophomores. As a result, students wanted a way for the class to come together and get excited for their junior year.
“From the day I became an Aggie, whooping was something I really looked forward to,” Kotch said. “This is something we’ve all been waiting two years to do. [Pull Out Day] brings the class together to whoop and have a good time.”
Julia Tisch, political science junior and junior class secretary of Class Councils said seeing the whole day come together is very special and rewarding. Tisch was able to attend Pull Out Day last year and recalls the excitement of getting to whoop for her first official time.
“A lot of Aggie traditions are very weird, but [attending Pull Out Day] last year was very significant for me,” Tisch said. “The wildcats are very important, as Aggies we are always excited about them. Whether it’s at Fish Camp or a football game, it’s something you identify with.”
Madeline McLevish-Hughes, psychology senior, said she recalls Pull Out Day feeling like a huge party where your class comes together to all “whoop” for the first time. While having pride in wildcats might seem odd to those who don’t attend A&M, Madeleine said that whooping now comes naturally to her.
“It was a big deal because we got to experience it as a class, not just individuals,” McLevish-Hughes said. “It makes you feel like it’s even more special. I encourage sophomores to attend because it will be an amazing memory, your first whoop shouldn’t be a passing moment – it’s a call for celebration.”