Speaker to talk internship opportunities for music festival

Every March, Austinites and visitors prepare for a sprawling music, film and multimedia festival experience — South by Southwest.
The volunteer call begins in January, and on Wednesday the A&M chapter of SIGGRAPH will host Gene Butler, volunteer and intern coordinator for SXSW, who will speak about student opportunities that SXSW offers over spring break and later into the year.
“In addition to gaining good professional experience and networking opportunities, being a volunteer or intern gains you access to the conference, which is otherwise very expensive,” said Jacy Johnson, industry relations officer for A&M SIGGRAPH.
Internship positions range from areas like film production to graphic design to festival planning.
“You learn a lot in a short amount of time,” said Jessica Tran, who previously volunteered. “I would absolutely do it again. It is a lot of work, but it allows you to see another side of the city.
Zachary Dunn, university studies senior, worked as a production volunteer last spring.
“It’s a totally worthwhile experience,” Dunn said. “Although the hours are long, if you know what you’re doing you’re in for one of the best weeks of your life. There simply isn’t a substitute for SXSW and volunteering is a great way to experience South-By.”
The talk is open to all students and will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Langford C109.