Student artwork honors memory of Bonfire victims

Provided
Bonfire Memorial Artwork

Students in the Department of Visualization helped to memorialize the 12 Aggies who died in the 1999 Aggie Bonfire Collapse.
The department has put together an exhibit entitled “Memory in the Landscape: Student Perspective of the Bonfire Memorial.” Students of local artist and assistant professor of visualization Benjamin Knox were asked to visit the memorial and draw their interpretation of the memorial. Afterwards the 33 individual drawings were interconnected as a collaborated mosaic and the faces of the 12 victims of the Collapse were added over the drawings.
 A reception was held on Nov. 17 in honor of the exhibit’s opening in the Langford Architecture Building. The families of the 12 victims, along with students, were invited.
Alex Diamont, one of the artists and a visualization freshman, said while the project was tough, he has a better understanding of what the memorial means to A&M after partaking in the project.
“It was tough originally conveying the emotions we felt at the memorial,” Diamont said. “Seeing those 12 portals — I’m a first generation Aggie, so seeing those for me it was the 12th Man.”
Knox said it is all about using the memory of the memorial to inspire this students as well as keep the families of the 12 connected to A&M.
“I think is is an excellent artistic opportunity for the students and the families to connect,” Knox said. “It’s great, the students get an opportunity to understand the symbolisms, the history and the importance of that. It gives the families and parents an opportunity to stay connected and inspire the students. My goal with this project was to inspire the students.”
Carolyn Adams, the mother of Miranda Adams, a victim of the Collapse, said she is very thankful for the exhibit.
“I think it is awesome, the different perspective and their enthusiasm,” Adams said. “ It is very touching, very touching. Its almost hard to wrap your mind around. It’s been 16 years but when the Aggies said that they would always remember them it’s true.”
The exhibit will be on display on the first floor of the Langford Architecture Building C, Nov. 16-20.