Student musicians perform at Coffeehouse night

A spotlight featured three student musicians Wednesday night through the MSC Coffee House Series.
MSC Town Hall, which brings in artists to perform concerts on campus, hosted the event in the lower levels of the MSC and offered free coffee to students attending.
Austin Meade, agricultural economics senior, who regularly performs his music outside of College Station, performed at the open mic. He said he hoped to spread word about his music and grow a bigger fanbase.
“There’s some Americana, some rock and roll, and guys like Tom Petty and all that stuff,” Meade said. “Probably Cody Canada has been one of my biggest influences.”
In addition to Meade, Alfonzo Galvan performed “Surf Rock,” a fast, punky music with a west coast influence.
Galvan, an applied mathematical sciences freshman, said he began performing live music after watching a live band perform at Hot Topic in the summer of eighth grade.
“Before I came here, I was really interested in continuing playing music,” Galvan said. “So I went out and looked for where I can play, and Town Hall seemed like an awesome organization.”
Tess Rose, the executive director for Coffeehouse and a psychology junior, said she started working on the event since summer.
“I have to reserve my location ahead of time, have my events approved, fill out certain forms, let my members know what tasks they have to accomplish the day of the event, et cetera,” Rose said. “My main goal is to put these events on for the students.”
Carolina Keating, communication senior and member of Town Hall, said she was encouraged to perform.
“I did these a couple of times last semester,” Keating said. “It’s kind of an adrenaline rush, having people watch.”
Both Meade and Keating have previously performed at Town Hall events and both said they were excited about returning. Meade said he was excited about performing, because he doesn’t get to play at A&M regularly. Keating, who usually doesn’t play the guitar for show, said this is the first time she played the guitar in front of people other than her family and friends.
“So that’s exciting to me,” Keating said. “Slash nerve-wracking.”
Galvan, who is a guitarist, was not selling albums, but instead was looking to have a good time. Galvan said he played songs from his album, “Chief of Sinners.”
“We’ve been getting together and jamming, and every time we do it, we laugh and we make jokes,” Galvan said, “I just wanna make everybody have a good time.”