Student-run bus brings the party

Provided

The Big Daddy Party Bus can accommodate up to 30 passengers and has been expanding services beyond Northgate.

A party can start anywhere: a dorm, a house, a club — or even a bus.
Big Daddy Bus is the newest way to spend a night out on Northgate. This service hosts up to 30 passengers and looks to transform the drive into an experience that is just as fun as the destination. The bus is equipped with LED lights, surround sound and a stripper pole.
Economics senior and Big Daddy Bus manager Matthew Iommi jumped at the opportunity to provide College Station with a party bus of its own. As the number of party trips increase, so do the number of riders. Iommi said he believes Big Daddy Bus is becoming a staple in the Northgate community.
“We have these frequent customers … every weekend they are going out and the bars all know them, so we have been pushed into that family,” Iommi said. “It’s usually just a rave in there. I’ll look in the rear view mirror and I’m like ‘wow, they are partying hard!’”
Even for those who aren’t Northgate regulars, Iommi said the bus can be a key component of a great night out.
“We are trying to expand into other market shares for people that don’t go out too often — once a month maybe,” Iommi said. “Then instead of taking two ubers, they can take the party bus.”
The bus’ services have extended to proms, quinceañeras, bachelor and bachelorette parties. However, the nightlife scene at College Station’s Northgate district is still where Big Daddy Bus finds the majority of its clientele.
“We have a good connection with the police because they understand what we are doing — [partygoers are] not out there driving, and that’s bottom line,” Iommi said. “We are giving them a great time, a much better time than just driving, having a designated driver and whatnot. Everyone gets to party.”
Making up to 10 trips a night, driver and economics junior Beck Nunnink said he enjoys the entertaining simplicity of his job and rarely feels the late hours he puts in behind the wheel.
“My typical night starts at about 9 p.m. when I pick the bus up. Depending on the night, I may have bookings right away, but most times I get to just hang for an hour,” Nunnink said. “I really enjoy just driving around. I find it relaxing, and the best part is I still get paid.”
For communication sophomore and frequent rider Melanie Rodriguez, the Big Daddy Bus company has made her nights on Northgate especially memorable.
“For my birthday this year, I booked the bus for a few friends and I,” Rodriguez said. “The bus was definitely the best of the night. … There is just something about taking the party bus to Northgate that just makes the night a definitely great night.”