Students discuss the coming of Krispy Kreme

Krispy+Kreme
Krispy Kreme

With the news of Krispy Kreme coming to College Station, students weigh in on their favorite donut shops in the area.
A brand-new Krispy Kreme location is set to open on Harvey Road near the Post Oak Mall sometime in the near future, as confirmed by the company in a tweet. The planned opening date has not yet been announced, although plans have been filed with the city, according to local KBTX news, and construction is likely to begin soon.
The news that the national donut chain best known for serving hot and fresh glazed donuts straight off the rack is coming to Aggieland has prompted some students, such as environmental design sophomore Cameron Kissling to weigh in on the debate about which rival, Shipley’s Donuts or Krispy Kreme, serves a better donut.
“There is no rivalry in my mind,” Kissling said. “Krispy Kreme is the best. Shipley’s is good, but there’s just something about Krispy Kreme’s donuts. They’re delicious. I could eat a dozen of them in an hour, and every time that ‘hot and fresh’ sign is on, I’ll be there. Oh Lord, I’m gonna get fat.”
Most students, including business management sophomore John Kutac, seem to like the taste of Krispy Kreme’s signature treat, the glazed donut, over that of Shipley’s.
“I prefer Krispy [Kreme],” Kutac said. “When I grew up, there were more Krispy [Kreme locations] around me than Shipley’s, so I just always ate Krispy Kreme. Every time we went to get donuts, we went to Krispy Kreme.”
Computer science sophomore Branden Klar said he likes the signature style of Krispy’s glazed donut recipe better than Shipley’s.
“I like glazed donuts the most, plain and simple,” Klar said. “So I’m gonna lean toward Krispy Kreme.”
Aerospace engineering sophomore Joel White said the new location might mean a change in where he stops for sweet treats of any kind.
“I was really excited to hear that Krispy Kreme was coming to College Station,” White said. “I know we had a Shipley’s in town, but it just isn’t the same.”
Opening a Krispy Kreme in a college town seems like a pretty good move, according to Klar. Although the location for the upcoming donut shop is not close to his apartment, Klar said the ‘hot and fresh’ brand is worth the drive.
“I’ll definitely stop at the new Krispy Kreme when it opens,” Klar said. “I love donuts, and Krispy Kreme’s glaze is the best. The location on Harvey road is a little out of the way for me, but I’ll swing by every once in a while. A good donut is worth the trip.”
While students may have individual preferences about which donut shop is the best, Klar said it doesn’t really matter what brand it is.
“Honestly, I don’t care if it’s Krispy Kreme, if it’s Shipley’s, or if it’s Dunkin’,” Kutac said. “A donut a donut, and donuts are pretty freakin’ good.”