Students face workout woes

As New Years resolutions lose their luster and energy levels dwindle, working out is sometimes the last thing on students minds. With sleep and studying often taking precedence, running on the treadmill or spending 30 minutes on the elliptical are often cut out of a students schedule.
Fitness director of the Student Recreational Center DeAun Woosley watches every year as students start out motivated, and then quickly lose their drive to work out on a regular basis.
She explained that the main downfall she continuously sees is a lack of consistency. She said a workout program is hard to begin, but once someone falls off his or her course, it is that much harder to continue.
Woosley said whether it is finding a fun program or people to work out with, there are ways to create and maintain an effective routine.
The individual must find something that they love to do, Woosley said. Finding a workout buddy for group classes or for use of the equipment in the gym seem to work for many.
With limited daily time for workouts, there are key factors in developing an effective workout plan. Woosley said students should choose to do a smaller amount of activity each day, or a more complex routine for several days a week. She also said finding time and days of the week to devote to exercise will aid in maintaining consistency.
Senior zoology major Nicole Bertolini spends her time away from class as the head strength & conditioning attendant in the Rec Sports weight and fitness room. On top of overseeing the efficiency of other weight room attendants, Bertolini serves as a supervisor of the facility.
Students with limited time after school and work can focus on abdominal and cardiovascular workouts. Students can complete quick and successful workouts by choosing a muscle group and doing a few exercises just for that group, Bertolini said. Doing a different muscle group each day will, in the end, become a rewarding and healthy full body workout.
Students find that as the semester progresses with more homework and tests, stress becomes a big factor, affecting them both physically and emotionally. Getting exercise is a great way to relieve that stress. Bertolini tells her peers in the weight room that even going for a quick jog or completing a fast workout can improve cognitive function and focus. Taking the time to do this can also help put a student in a positive mood.
Lead personal trainer Patrick Cantu is one of many certified personal trainers employed by the Rec Center that can assist students in their workout regimen. Cantu said each trainer develops a comprehensive exercise program for each individual.
Whether you are a beginner needing specific guidance or an experienced athlete, as a personal trainer we use our knowledge and skill to work with the individual to achieve personal fitness goals, said Cantu.
Cantu said the biggest benefit of having a personal trainer is the one-on-one individualized attention. Not only will the trainer monitor progress over a period of time, but he or she will also teach the student workouts they can do on their own after the training ends.