Students pick 55th Grammy Award favorites

Every year, Billings Artworks in Ridgeway, Colo., sees almost 100 little golden gramophones assembled by hand, gilded and engraved, each one for a different category. The statuettes then make their way to the Staples Center in Los Angeles, where, on the 10th of February, they will each be awarded to big names in the music industry.
On Sunday, CBS will broadcast the 55th Annual Grammy Awards. Performers, writers, producers, and composers will be represented across every commercial genre, including three new categories this year: Best Classical Compendium, Best Latin Jazz Album and Best Urban Contemporary Album.
Im rooting for Frank Ocean and Florence and the Machine because they deserve all the recognition they get, said sophomore telecommunication media studies major Griffin George. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together is a joke and a travesty, but I want Call Me Maybe to win song of the year, because lets face it, hate it or love it, it was the song of the year.
In addition to current musical contributions, there are also standing categories for life achievements, given out to artists both living and posthumously, in recognition of their role in shaping the way music has developed.
Special Merit Award nominees this year include Lightnin Hopkins, Bruce Springsteen, Carol King, The Temptations and Alan Livingston.
Sophomore general studies major Dannelle Matthews said that he hopes Fun. Receives the awards for the alternative genre Grammy.
I feel like Fun. should win every category they are nominated for, said sophomore general studies major Dannelle Matthews. Their instrumental pop beats make me feel like dancing, and Nate Ruess voice makes me melt, and I truly feel that they have what it takes to win.
Pop tracks, which, because of radio play, tend to be the most popularly tracked categories. Then there is a genre that may not garner as much airtime, Electronic and Dance categories, of which George said he believes Avicii will walk away with the Grammy.
Levels will win best dance recording, he said. Its one of the best songs ever produced.
The Grammy Awards came into being in the 1950s as a music industry alternative to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Since its inception, thousands of the small golden trophies a gramophone, in recognition of Thomas Edisons inventionhave been awarded, from only 20 at the very first awards show in 1959, to last years 78.
Presenters at this years ceremony include Beyonc, Kaley Cuoco, Ellen Degeneres, Neil Patrick Harris and Hunter Hayes. Several artists will also take the main stage for live performances, including Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Sting, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Justin Timberlake and The Black Keys.
I’m looking forward to seeing Kelly Clarkson perform the most, said junior English major Hayley Ellisor. Not only do I like her music and personality, but I also love that she’s a Texas girl and I like to see an American success story being represented on the big stage like that.
There will be plenty of American, as well as international success stories taking the stage on Sunday. Tune in to see awards given out for artistic contributions around the world to the people who have made us dance and have kept us listening.