Study Abroad Fair invites Aggies to learn about international education

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Hundreds of students came by the Study Abroad Fair. 

Showcasing opportunities for Texas A&M students to expand their educational horizons, the Study Abroad Programs Office hosted its annual fair on Wednesday.

In Rudder Exhibit Hall, information about trips, transfer credits, exchange student programs and payment options were all on display. The fair rewarded students who participated by offering tickets at each booth that could be redeemed for free pizza.
”I would say it’s one of the most successful fairs I’ve seen,” associate director Pascale Parker said. “We are very thankful to the entire Aggie community supporting this event. There is a lot of talent behind all this from the faculty to the administration up and down, because the university at Texas A&M truly believes in this.”
A&M’s study abroad team has a fair every year, where students have the opportunity to ask questions and see the different options and opportunities. The Scholarship and Financial Aid office is also accessible with its own information table.
“Let’s not forget, Texas A&M is the number one public university sending students abroad and that’s because we value that,” Park said. “I studied abroad three times. It is exciting to be able to show students that it’s really an attainable thing. It’s actually not difficult. There are a lot of people dedicated to make that happen for students if they want it.”
Funding, length and specific location are all common study abroad concerns. Students are encouraged to talk to advisors early on about timing and affordability.
“You have to plan well. That’s the bottom line,” study abroad advisor Jordan Threadgill said. “The big message we want to send is you can do it. Study abroad is something that people on campus generally know about, but we want to help steer the narrative of what study abroad is, and all the types of opportunities you can go on.”
One booth had a virtual reality experience where students could take a two-minute tour around the world. Holly Hudson, executive director of the study abroad office, said she was impressed by the organization and attendance.
“It’s really amazing to see such a great activity and such a great attendance by students,” Hudson said. “We just really hope that we are offering students an opportunity to see all of the programs that we have, and we hope that we are doing a good job showcasing those international opportunities.”