Taking CHAARG of your health

Courtesy of Shreya Rao

Since 2012, Changing Health, Attitudes + Actions to Recreate Girls, or CHAARG, provides weekly workouts for college-aged women who may feel uncomfortable in traditional exercise settings.

Being comfortable at the gym has always been a challenge for me, I never know quite how to use the equipment and the stares from men feel strong enough to sear into my soul. Similar to other women, it was easier to workout in the safety of my apartment or visit the gym at ungodly hours to avoid strange looks and small talk.
Changing Health, Attitudes + Actions to Recreate Girls, or CHAARG, is a women-only workout group that helps create safe spaces for female students to exercise on college campuses across the United States.
“I joined CHAARG originally because I was looking to make some friends that were girls and I wanted to have a safe place to workout,” CHAARG event coordinator Lauren Hillbrick said. “I thought it was fun that I was gonna be able to find different workout exercises that I could do and not be judged because we’re all just trying it for fun. I think the community of it and just the security of everyone is definitely a big factor in why I wanted to join CHAARG.”
Sexual violence and harassment is a reality every woman has to face or will likely face within her lifetime. In undergraduate programs, 26.4% of females experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence or incapacitation, according to Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network.
Every week, CHAARG hosts new interesting workouts. After an entire semester in CHAARG, I had the motivation to try workouts I would have never done on my own, like aerial yoga. After suiting up in leggings and a workout top, I walked into an ambiently lit studio at Innovative Fitness with hooks mounted from the ceiling and a wall-to-wall mirror staring back at me. Once our instructor hooked everyone’s silk hammocks to the ceiling, we followed her choreographed workout throwing our legs over us and swinging into various positions.
I was out of my depths, having to take breaks after beginning to sweat – much to my surprise. Everyone was lined up in two rows, so it was hard to not accidentally touch someone. Our instructor led us in various positions and walked us through warm-up and cool-down positions, like any other workout. While I didn’t become an expert overnight, I got to participate in a class with friends in a safe space I didn’t feel embarrassed to mess up in.
Health promotions coordinator Denise Crisafi, Ph.D., said a sexual assault survivor can use working out as a safe space to find independence over their body again and exercise can teach individuals to not be ashamed of their body.
“Sometimes being in a space with individuals who identify the same way as they do or [not] having individuals in a space who may remotely remind them of the identity of someone who harmed them can be a very empowering space,” Crisafi said.
Now that I have had experience with D1 training, boxing, strength training, barre and other workouts, it has been empowering to put myself through each workout and see how enjoyable working out can be. Exercising doesn’t have to be this daunting task I have to force myself through if I’m with a community of women who want to uplift and support each other.
Looking for free alternatives? The Texas A&M Rec Sports center offers multiple $5 and free classes. Visit recconnect.tamu.edu for a variety of options.