Texans in the Grammys

Photo by Graphic by Anthony Eaton
58th Annual Grammys

The 58th Grammy awards will begin Monday at 7 p.m., marking a new season of celebrating and awarding musical talent. At last year’s ceremony, St. Vincent — who got her start in Dallas — took home the Best Alternative Music Album, Houston-born Beyoncé won Best R&B Performance and Miranda Lambert from Lindale, Texas was awarded Best Country Album. This year brings a whole new fresh crop of Texas artists in the Grammys.

Kelly Clarkson

Nominated for: Best Pop Solo Performance

Song: Heartbeat Song

The three-time Grammy award winner got her start in Burleson, Texas and was made famous by the singing competition “American Idol.” Since then, Clarkson has produced five studio albums and has had a record-breaking career. She is no stranger to the Grammys, but this year she has stiff competition, joined in her category by Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, The Weeknd and Ellie Goulding.

Leon Bridges

Nominated for: Best R&B Album

Album: Coming Home

Bridges originated from Fort Worth, Texas and tries to emulate gospel and blues of the 1960s in his debut album, “Coming Home.” This category is his for the taking considering he has amassed a cult following and has been touring extensively since the album release.  

Lee Ann Womack

Nominated for: Best Country Solo Performance & Best Country Song

Song: Chances Are

Womack was raised in Jacksonville, Texas and has been a contemporary music artist since 1997. She released her most recent album, “The Way I’m Livin,’” in 2014 and it has also been nominated for two Americana Music Awards. However, she has to go up against country music juggernauts like Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban and new kid on the block, Chris Stapleton.

Kacey Musgraves

Nominated for: Best Country Album

Album: Pageant Material

Musgraves, a progressive and independent country singer, has been appealing to indie country fans since her debut album in 2007. Now her third self released album, “Pageant Material is up for Best Country Album, which she won for her second album last year, and two American Country Music Awards.