The morning after an Aggie gameday

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Freshman kinesiology major Hannah Kapfer and sophomore computer science major Samantha Hay spent their Sunday morning cleaning up trash inside of Kyle Field.

Cleaning up the trash of more than 100,000 people takes a massive collaborative effort.
The morning after every Texas A&M home football game, Brazos Valley Recycling puts on Kyle Field Clean Up. Student organizations and community volunteers are invited to enter Kyle Field and remove trash left behind by football fans. Brazos Valley Recycling then returns money back to participating organizations to help fund student events.
Nicholas Elizondo, general engineering freshman, took part in Kyle Field Clean Up through the Corps of Cadets who said his interest in the activity peaked when he received an email offering the opportunity for cadets to join the event. Elizondo said that the job entails picking up large pieces of trash with gloves provided by Brazos Valley Recycling and sweeping up the smaller items.
“It’s important because it allows our students to be active, not only in just participating in the school events, but also in helping to run those school events in the steps that come before and after the events,” Elizondo said. “I think it’s a really great idea, and I’m excited to see so many other people come out and participate as well.”
Nick Ecklor, Brazos Valley Recycling employee, has been a part of the team for four years and is part of the field staff that helps run the event through guiding student workers and volunteers.
“It provides the opportunity for students to raise money to help fund different programs for their groups. It allows them to serve,” Ecklor said. “As a student, you do your classwork, and you do your homework. But this helps give some community involvement as well, which is a part of the whole college experience.”
Ali Eldouh, biomedical engineering senior, participated last year with the Muslim Students Association. He said the experience has many benefits despite the tiring hours spent cleaning.
“We heard about it and thought it was a great way to give back to our university. We also thought it was a great way to raise some money for our organization,” Eldouh said. “Even though it’s kind of a long morning, it makes your organization even closer.”
Caleb Urbano, physics freshman in Squadron 16, completed his first Kyle Field Clean Up after the game against Louisiana-Lafayette and said he was excited for the service event.
“Kyle Field is a huge part of this school, especially for the cadets,” Urbano said. “Having students come and take care of it, and giving that responsibility to students instead of a company helps us appreciate it. The work put into keeping this a great place is important.”
Urbano enjoyed witnessing how the community’s cooperation worked to tackle such a large task as cleaning up Kyle Field.
“I enjoy service,” Urbano said. “Even though you’re just going little by little, you make a big difference with everyone together.”