The Mugdown SBP campaign donates funds to Twin City Missions

By Jacob Martindale

The Mugdown’s bid for student body president was announced with the publication of their spring print edition. 

This A&M student-led, satirical publication aims to “challenge the thinking of the Texas A&M community through satirical news,” and its non-campaign is the latest of its antics. However, this time, students at The Mugdown decided to put their non-campaign to use by donating funds to Twin City Mission, a local non-profit organization, with the help of an anonymous donor.
Editor-in-Chief, whose alias is North by Northgate, said the idea came to the staff after discussing different roles student organizations play in raising money for charitable causes.
“The following morning, everywhere I looked I saw students wearing shirts in support of a [student] candidate, and it crossed my mind that most of these students are wearing a shirt that will be obsolete by the end of the week,” North said. “It dawned on me: What if we turned a wasteful expense into a way to make an actual difference?”
North said the average student campaigner spends $620 on T-shirts, so matching the donation to a charitable cause would create a more lasting effect on the community. Doubling the donations was made possible with the help of a donor, who pledged to match the fundraiser dollar for dollar.
Ron Crozier, Twin City Mission’s director of community relations, said The Mugdown’s efforts represent what being an Aggie is all about.
“Students are only here for four, five, six years, but while they’re here they make an impact in this community,” Crozier said. “Being an Aggie means being more than just being a student, it means getting involved, and this is just a great example of groups wanting to get involved. I think it’s phenomenal that the individuals who got involved came up with this concept that speaks right to the heart of being an Aggie. We can make a difference.”
External editor, whose alias is Bacon & Ags, said the demand for philanthropic aid within the community is what motivated The Mugdown staff to choose Twin City Mission.
“Bryan has one of the highest poverty rates in Texas,” Bacon & Ags said. “The Mugdown has commented in the past on the tendency for students to do good for areas abroad even when the local community really needs the help. Financial difficulties are especially prevalent for families throughout the county, and—possibly surprising to some—homelessness is not uncommon.”
Twin City Mission has four resale stores, one in Bryan and three in College Station. Since the recent demolition of its former location on Wellborn, a new location has since opened on the corner of FM 2818 and Southwood, Crozier said. Crozier said he encourages residents to donate to the resale stores.
“We’re trying to let [patrons] know that the store is still accessible, just in a different direction. However, the success of those stores needs donations so we can make stuff available for patrons to come in and shop for them,” Crozier said.
So far, The Mugdown has raised more than $740, surpassing its original $620 goal, and now aims to raise $2000, according to North. North encourages those interested in donating to visit elect.mugdown.com/donate. Those who wish to learn more about Twin City Mission or donate directly can visit twincitymission.org.