‘The Pillowman’ to come to College Station

The+Pillowman
Provided
The Pillowman

A&M’s adaption of the play, “The Pillowman” will come to College Station Thursday to challenge police brutality and religious persecution.

“The Pillowman,” a play written by Martin McDonagh, follows the main character Katurian, a writer who is questioned by two detectives for a series of murders that are similar to stories he wrote. The play, which takes place in a totalitarian civilization, focuses on elements of police brutality and freedom of speech, mirroring recent events in today’s society.

Theatre Arts professor Christopher Cole, who is directing the production, said he tried to be careful with showing the violence against children.

“We made an effort to make the violence more of an artistic showing rather than a grotesque showing,” Cole said.

Jessica Cooper, psychology senior and stage manager for the production, said this play, as well as other dystopian novels such as George Orwell’s “1984,” represent societies that U.S. culture could become if the right to freedom of speech and police conduct go unchecked.

“We hope that people who see violence on stage will see how ridiculous it can be in real life,” Cooper said. “Hopefully seeing it onstage will allow the audience to reflect on how they view violence in their lives.”

Madison Becker, theatre arts junior who plays one of the detectives in the play named Tupolski, said one of the main themes of the intense script is storytelling.

“The play is unique in that it manages to be hilarious but dark at the same time, which you don’t see in a lot of plays,” Becker said.

For Sean Gordon, a senior who plays the plays the lead role Katurian, it has always been a dream to star in “The Pillowman,” ever since he saw the play during his sophomore year of high school.

“It was the first play that made me want to be an actor; it’s so dark and twisted, but beautiful, it just blew my mind,” Gordon said.

Gordon said he wants the play to make the audience reflect on the impact that a little white lie have in the grand scheme of things.

“One of my favorite elements of the play is the beautiful relationship between Katurian and his brother Michal,” Gordon said. “It really highlights the message that love triumphs over evil; Katurian’s actions are driven by love.”

Becker said above all, the cast just wants the audience to come out and have a good time.

“It’s fun to see the dynamics of people with twisted minds, and that’s what this play explores,” Becker said. “While it’s a dark play, it is also very fun; you experience every emotion.”

Gordon said he hopes the audience will take something away from the play.

“I think that the darkness of the play will surprise a lot of people, but in a good way,” Gordon said. “It has the potential to have a big impact on the campus.”

The play will premiere at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Rudder Forum.