Throw your stress away

Photo by Photo by Aubrey Vogel

BCS Axe House offers a variety of throwing games for guests including the traditional target, tic-tac-toe, zombies and more. For a more relaxed visit, they also have televisions across the establishment and a variety of board and card games to play including giant Jenga.

I’d be lying if I claimed my most recent axe-throwing experience as my first. In fact, it is a frequent activity among my hometown friend group. An article from Business Insider describes axe-throwing as “a night of release and friendly competition,” but would a non-competitive introvert say the same?
I walked into BCS Axe House eager to test my own theory and was met at the door with kindness and attentiveness from an “axe-pert.” Even before throwing a single axe, any of the anxiety I had left my body.
The Axe House is an Aggie family-owned axe-throwing venue with 14 throwing lanes, projected targets with games including tic-tac-toe, zombie and tournament play with digital scoring. Ninja stars are also available to mix itup, which are my personal favorite to throw.
Many Texas A&M organizations such as the local Alpha Chi Omega chapter have
made trips to the facility. The group visited the Axe House for their “Dad’s Day” event on April 19, member Katherine Galbraith said.
“It takes a minute to get the hang of it, but once you do, it’s fun, and it’s fun playing against other people,” Galbraith said. 
The attention to safety details was the factor about my experience at the Axe House that outweighed my previous ones, which include anti-bounce borders and safety-designed end grain targets making axes both easier to stick
and stop bounce-back. “Axe-perts” are also present to teach each participant the correct axe holding and throwing form to ensure safety remains the utmost concern.
“We are very safety conscious and we built this thing to be just that,” Jes Linne, owner of BCS Axe House said.
The various target safety features are excellent differentiators of what makes the Axe House unique from other axe-throwing venues in the area, such as Waco Axe Co., Linne said.
Linne said there have been no injuries reported or observed at the Axe House and consumption of alcohol is monitored and cut off by general managers to keep the venue a safe place.
While safety was definitely a concern of mine, my wallet was also concerned. Physically throwing sharp objects at a target may be like cheap therapy to relieve stress, but the pricing structure at the Axe House (individual: 1 hr: $19.95, 1 1⁄2 hr: $26.95, 2 hr: $33.95; group rates on Friday and Saturday the same) not only relieve personal stress, but financial stress as well.
Because of its location in a college town, the Axe House was eager to bring an affordable outing for college students, Linne said.
In between throwing games or a post-game recuperation, participants have access to a bar and cocktail area, board games and 14 TV’s throughout the venue. The Axe House does not sell food, but welcomes guests to bring
their own or order from delivery services.
Weekends are typically busy, especially Saturdays, which are their busiest. But, I would describe my night at the Axe House as a peaceful atmosphere and a release of my end-of-semester stress, and for the first time, I understand the concept of friendly competition. In my experience, ‘competition’ didn’t hold any weight at all, it’s simply the principle of the game. The part that matters is ‘friendly’; finding joy in unplugging from everyday anxieties with someone you love. Sure, it’s a ‘duh’ concept for most, but for this non-competitive, anxious introvert, this was a valuable lesson to learn, and BCS Axe House on a Tuesday night was the perfect teacher.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
Waiver:
Prior to throwing, guests are required to sign a safety waiver agreeing the participant understands the possibility of risk and injury either by themselves or others. The waiver also gives the Axe House permission to post any photos taken of the participant and their party. Individuals 12 and older may throw axes and ninja stars, but those under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Proper attire:
The BCS Axe House requires close-toed shoes for all throwers.
Bar Precautions:
Alcohol consumption is monitored by the Axe House general managers and guests may be cut off at any time deemed necessary.
General Safety:
BCS Axe House general managers check the structural integrity of the axes and their ability to stick. BCS Axe House safety waiver says any behavior that puts any patrons at risk will result in immediate expulsion from our venue.