Top five places to order textbooks

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

The MSC Bookstore offers convenient on campus textbook pickup for students.

With classes back in session, students have begun the semesterly scramble to find their books at the best prices. Here are the top five places Aggies have chosen for their textbook needs.
1. Amazon
With a nearly endless assortment of books and quick shipping options, Amazon has become a popular website for students to order textbooks. Political science senior Vanessa Alvardo said the site has become her goto source for cheaper books.
“Amazon is really good for discounted textbooks because there are a variety of different options for students,” Alvardo said. “The price is the main reason of where I decide I am going to get my textbooks from.”
2. Textbook Solutions
Specializing in used books at lower prices, Textbook Solutions, located east of the University on Walton Drive, is another common option for students looking for textbooks.
David Lin, computer science sophomore, said he discovered Textbook Solutions after his first semester at A&M and has since become a regular customer.
“I spent too much money at other bookstores until I went to Textbook Solutions,” Lin said. “I prefer renting textbooks from them because they are close to campus and have a variety of discounted prices.”
3. Chegg
Although Chegg, another online textbook rental company, isn’t as convenient as Amazon and Textbook solutions, Chegg provides textbooks at decent prices, according to Michael Mpwo, electronic systems engineering technology sophomore.
“I don’t order any of my books at the bookstore because they are way too expensive,” Mpwo said. “I order them all on Chegg.”
When Alvardo can’t get her books from Amazon, she said Chegg is the way to go.
“My senior year I discovered Chegg, which has been having good deals and the prices have been better than where I previously bought from,” Alvardo said.
4 .Cengage
Cengage, a company that provides online educational content also supplies Aggies with textbooks. In addition to Chegg, Mpwo said Cengage is great for students in his area of study.
“My second option is Cengage,” Mpwo said. “So far, that has been sufficient for me. Cengage is just another website that’s cheaper than the bookstore. It’s good for STEM majors that need textbooks.”
5. MSC Bookstore
Emma Spangenthal, communication freshman, said she gets her textbooks from the A&M bookstore, located in the MSC.
“If I want textbooks at a cheaper price, I check for rented or used textbooks instead of new books at the MSC Bookstore,” Spangenthal said.
Erni Clark, university studies senior, said she loves the convenience of picking up her textbooks from the MSC.
“I usually order my textbooks from the bookstore because I order them last minute and I don’t like to venture off,” Clark said. “Amazon has really good prices and it’s convenient, but when I have to have them like the next day, then I got to go to the bookstore.”
The MSC Bookstore will now price match textbooks from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other local competitors. Visit their website for more details: https://goo.gl/WNsvqa