Top four roomie dates in C-STAT

A coffee date at The Village is a great activity to do with your roommate.

As February 14 approaches, advertisements remind the public about the holiday of love. Yet, as the focus lays on romantic relationships, those feeling left out should remember this day allows you to appreciate everyone you love. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, here are the top four places for Aggieland roommates to go and bond.
Babe’s Doughnut and Coffee Shop
Seated at the corner of Texas Avenue and Brook Lane and open every day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., this humble bakery serves as an indie coffee shop. Andrea Leite, communications junior, said she loves her job at the shop because of the atmosphere.
“When people come here, it’s just a part of their day that they look forward to,” Leite said. “Making a cup of coffee, it brings so much joy to people. It’s amazing to look out and see so many relationships form over a single donut.”
Whether it’s a nice study date or lively hangout with your roommates, Leite said Babe’s Doughnut delivers.
“If you’re wanting to have a quiet conversation, during weekday afternoons is probably the best,” Leite said. “Saturday and Sunday mornings I do not recommend for quiet one-on-ones because people are going in and out — which I love. I love all the laughter and conversations that fill the room. It just depends on what kind of environment you’re looking for.”
Tipsy Bean
For those wanting a sophisticated night with their roommates, Tipsy Bean, off of William D. Fitch Parkway, mixes an elegant ambiance with their cup of joe. Larkin Manning, current manager of the Tipsy Bean, said the business focuses on their social setting.
“It’s just a really fun place,” Manning said. “We try to keep it kind of social at night. That’s why our Wi-Fi cuts out. It’s to create a social environment for everyone who wants to come and enjoy wine. It’s super open, and we really try to cultivate a bonding experience.”
Manning said even though Tipsy Bean is known for their T.B Latte, a freshly brewed espresso shot blended with steamed chocolate milk and homemade caramel syrup, the seasonal wines and cheese boards are a must have.
“We have cheeses from all over the world,” Manning said. “If you’re of age, we have a good wine collection which we are in the middle of switching because we try to keep that fresh as well. We also feature wines that are Aggie owned, so that’s pretty cool.”
Dixie Chicken
Steps from campus, the Dixie Chicken is an Aggieland tradition centered in the heart of Northgate. Cori Srack, biology freshman, said she loves how the scene takes her away from College Station.
“You go in there and forget about A&M,” Srack said. “You walk in and there are literal western doors that look like they belong in a country film. You don’t feel like you’re on campus, but you’re steps away from it.”
Srack also said she liked the unique experiences the restaurant had to offer.
“I’ve never played pool, but I’d love to go in there and learn how to play,” Srack said, “All the while, there are older families playing dominoes, and then beside them there are four college boys sharing a pint of beer. It’s a place for everyone.”
The Village
Whether it’s a night of Latin flare, warm drinks, or sweet desserts with her friends, Laura Moreno, management senior, said The Village is one of her favorite things in Downtown Bryan.
“The lights, the music — they make me feel at home,” Moreno said. “People should go because they will leave having had a good time — whether it be for cute coffee mugs, the macaroons, or the dancing.”
On Wednesday and Saturday nights, the Village hosts salsa dancing, which Moreno said is an experience unlike any in the B-CS area.
“As far as the dancing options in College Station, it is the only place where it doesn’t matter if you brought a group or not because everyone dances with everyone, and that is unique in comparison to any genre of dancing here,” Moreno said.