Top ten most anticipated movies of the year

Photo by Graphic by Nic Tan
Anticipated Movies of 2018

2018 is slated to be another big year in the world of movies. With six new Marvel movies, another Star Wars anthology film and a huge release for Pixar, this year is set to be full of excitement at the movie theatre. Here’s a list of 10 of the most anticipated movies of 2018.
“Avengers: Infinity War”
This is it, Marvel fans. This is what we’ve been waiting for — the movie Marvel has been building up since the release of “Iron Man” way back in 2008. Trailers promise an intense movie, and if the past 10 years of Marvel madness have been any indication, the Avengers’ battle with the Mad Titan Thanos should be the biggest event in comic-based movies the world has ever seen.
“The Incredibles 2”
Fourteen years after “The Incredibles” was originally released, we’re finally getting the sequel promised in the closing scene of the first film. I thought I was excited when “Finding Dory” was announced a few years ago, but I am much more excited about the Parr family making another appearance on big screen. With the entire original voice cast returning to reprise their roles and a few big names joining the cast list, “The Incredibles 2” promises to be spectacular.
“Deadpool 2”
Ryan Reynolds returns as the world’s most offensive (and hilarious) super-anti-hero. The first film was brilliantly funny, and the trailers for the second promise just as much R-rated humor. With the promise of several new characters, and one hilarious trailer, the Merc with a Mouth’s second film is shaping up to be one of the best and likely funniest movies of 2018.
“Black Panther”
For a movie that won’t be released for another month, ticket sales for “Black Panther” are through the roof, all thanks to Marvel’s latest stunt. They opened advance ticket sales in coordination with the air of a trailer, and the result is an extremely well selling movie. Granted, it probably deserves all the hype it’s been getting. Marvel has yet to make a truly bad movie, and, amidst their avalanche of successes in recent years, I would expect “Black Panther” to make a fine addition to their collection of films.
“Mission: Impossible 6”
The Mission: Impossible franchise is getting yet another film this year. We don’t know much about it, but if it follows in the footsteps of the other Mission Impossible films, it should be an action-packed thrill ride with an all-star cast.
“Aquaman”
The DC Extended Universe has had a rocky start. From the critical failure “Batman v Superman” to their latest flop “Justice League,” “Wonder Woman” has been their only saving grace. In December, DC plans to try again to catch up to Marvel’s Cinematic Universe with the release of “Aquaman.” So far, DC movies have been hit or miss, but good or bad, I plan to see this film.
“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”
The previous entry into the Harry Potter universe, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” was a delight to see. Funny, and a first step toward expanding J.K. Rowling’s somewhat claustrophobic and underdeveloped world of magic, the original Fantastic Beasts was a good, fun film. Hopefully, the next one will be no different. With Johnny Depp starring as Grindelwald and Jude Law as Dumbledore himself, this movie should prove an interesting addition to the Harry Potter world.
“Maze Runner: The Death Cure”
The Maze Runner franchise so far has been mostly mediocre. The movies, while interesting for their mysterious overarching plot, are fairly forgettable when it comes to just about everything else. That said, the plot, combined with the action promised in the trailer and by the previous films, is enough to make me want to see The Death Cure. I doubt it will be a great movie, but I think it will be interesting enough to go see.
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”
Fans do not have high expectations for this year’s portrayal of Han Solo’s younger days. The film has already proved problematic, as the original directors were removed from the project after reportedly taking too light a tone with a movie that Disney apparently wants to be serious. The production has been a mess, and no one is expecting even an okay movie to come out of it. That being said, it is a Star Wars Story, and that, for better or worse, is enough to put it on my list.
“Isle of Dogs”
This is more of personal choice for this list. This film is slightly more obscure than the rest of them. That’s because “Isle of Dogs” is being made by one of my all time favorite directors: Wes Anderson. Anderson is known for his quirky filmmaking style; a style responsible for the creation and success of such films as “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou,” “Fantastic Mr. Fox” and, a personal favorite, “Moonrise Kingdom.” Anderson’s distinct style and voice has drawn me to his films, and I am very excited for the opportunity to see a new one on the big screen.