Top Ten Restaurants in Aggieland to Impress your sweetie this Valentine’s Day

Photo by FILE

The aftermath of the pandemic has left businesses across College Station in a rapid search for employees including restaurant owners, who seem to have been hit the hardest.

Valentine’s Day is stressful for many reasons: being alone, impressing your bae, picking an outfit, deciding which of your boyfriends or girlfriends to go out with, trying to keep them from finding out about each other, etc. If you’re not sadly roaming the grocery store, longingly sweeping the Valentine’s aisles this year, you’re probably trying to plan a date for your significant other, which is even harder when you’re broke and in college. Hopefully, one of these suggestions can at least help you to decide where to eat on Feb. 14, whether it be with your friends or with your date.
1. Napa Flats
Napa flats has both delicious and healthy options, and also a mini gelato shop right outside, but you can also order the gelato straight to your table. Psychology sophomore Cali Collins said she enjoys being taken out here for her favorite meal.
“Good for a date, also good for a break from your 12 cats at home,” Collins said.
2. Master Yakiniku
Jenny Egan, a psychology junior, likes to go to Master Yakiniku to enjoy Korean and Japanese style BBQ in a family-style, cook-it-yourself setting. This is a perfect recommendation for a Valentine’s double date.
“Master Yakiniku is the perfect place to take a group of friends,” Egan said. “You can grill your choices of meat to your heart’s content, and enjoy amazing mochi afterwards.”
3. Star Cinema Grill
Human resources management junior Sarah Guthrie said she likes her dates to take her to Star Cinema Grill. Also a new location in century square, Star Cinema Grill has impressively high ceilings, a full service bar and elegant decor.
“It’s bomb,” Guthrie. “It’s like a two in one. You get a restaurant and you get a movie.”
4. Madden’s Casual Gourmet
Melanie Matheidas, marketing sophomore, said her favorite restaurant in the Bryan-College Station area is Madden’s.
“Madden’s is my go to for whenever I want to feel fancy,” Matheidas said. “All of their food is so good, and the atmosphere is so unique. Ten out of ten — will always go.”
5. Gumby’s
Gumby’s isn’t bad if you’re staying in on Valentine’s, but if you let her order a specially roll AND get breadsticks, you can really wow her.
“She’ll either be impressed by how much pizza you can eat or how low your standards are,” said civil engineering sophomore Graylin Rhoades.
Tiff’s Treats aren’t a bad addition to a delivery meal.
6. Cafe Eccell
With such a diverse menu, you and your date can order whatever you want. Cafe Eccell has everything from Italian cuisine, to burgers, to brunch, to tex-mex — but fancy.
“Cafe Eccell is a step up from your average baseline sit-down restaurant, but it’s not somewhere where you would be uncomfortable with your boo,” said business management sophomore Haley Miller.
7. Double Dave’s
“There’s nothing more romantic than eating a dozen rolls by yourself on Valentine’s day,” said engineering freshman Abby Harmon.
Say no more. I’m sold.
8. Hullabaloo Diner
Impress your date by taking on the Aggie challenge — eating a massive 12-egg omelette. You can check buying a gift off your list by winning a free shirt! Hullabaloo Diner is a restaurant and dance hall inside a restored train dining car.
“They have really good tarts and desserts, and it’s not that expensive,” said anthropology sophomore Madison Lewis. “It’s like an old diner, and they have a parrot that says howdy.”
9. Fuego
Fuego is delicious and affordable. You can get in and out fast to head back to your dorm to exchange chocolates and flowers. Samantha Butler, biomedical engineering junior, said she particularly enjoys the queso at Fuego.
“If you get stood up, you can just eat queso and drown your tears,” Butler said.
10. BJ’s
Although it’s a typical chain restaurant, it’s low lighting and too-expensive-for-what-you-get-menu is perfect for college valentines.
“They have a little bit of everything,” said general studies sophomore Natalie Rodriguez. “I’d rather have a pizookie as my Valentine.”