Top Three Places to Chill in C-STAT

Photo by Photo by Dalia Muayad

Bon AppeTea is a new Vietnamese restaurant located on Nagle Street.

As we race towards the end of the semester, exams, final grades and graduation are not the only things bringing the heat. Summer is just around the corner, and with it, our desire to escape the heat, which will lead us in search for some tasty and refreshing snacks. Here are the top three places for Aggies to go and enjoy some frozen desserts.
Spoons Yogurt
Located off Texas Avenue South, Spoons Yogurt is open from noon to 10 p.m. seven days a week. This frozen yogurt shop offers a wide selection of flavors, such as traditional vanilla, cookies and cream, strawberry and banana. There is also a topping bar, which will suit the needs of any taste buds. Natalie Hughes, engineering freshman, said she loves the simplicity of the experience at Spoons Yogurt.
“Sometimes I forget that it’s not even ice cream because it tastes so good,” Hughes said. “I love getting to come and pick my own flavors and make the treat as big or as little as you want it. Your friends don’t even have to agree with what flavor or topping you’re in the mood for because they have so many options laid out for you.”
Hughes said one of the reasons she enjoys visiting the shop is due to its location.
“On a hot day, you don’t want to travel a far distance to get anything, even if you’re driving,” Hughes said. “It’s nice that I can just drive a few minutes from campus if I’m in the mood for it and then come back. It’s just easy, and there isn’t an elaborate science to it.”
Sweet Horse
Open the same hours as Spoons Yogurt and also located off of Texas Avenue, this eclectic dessert shop is perfect for anyone who’s seeking a nice hangout spot to beat the heat. Sweet Horse offers a treats such as chilled bubble tea and rolled ice cream, and if you’re looking to eat at the restaurant, the store also has board games for their guests to use. Bianca Mendoza, political science sophomore, said the atmosphere Sweet Horse creates is very welcoming and always makes her want to stay longer.
“As soon as I came in, I fell in love with the homey decor,” Mendoza said. “You can really tell they want the place to be somewhere people can hangout and spend time with friends. They have card games, board games, chalkboards, music and most importantly, good milk tea.”
Among the sweet treats, Mendoza said she loves the fact Sweet Horse is also affordable for a college student.
“For those with a sweet tooth, Sweet Horse is the place to be,” Mendoza said. “My personal favorite is the creamy taro milk tea with boba. Nowhere else in College Station do I feel so comfortable getting a reasonably priced drink from a local store with my friends.”
Bon Apple Tea
Recently opened, Bon Apple Tea has easily become a must go location for students looking for something sweet by campus. Open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day and located on Nagle Street, directly in front of the Mitchell Physics Building on northside, this small Asian business offers cute photo opportunities and chilled, sweet summer drinks.
Joshua Sass, computer engineering sophomore, said you can’t go wrong with trying every drink on the menu.
“There’s so many flavors on the menu,” Sass said. “Every flavor I’ve tried has never failed me, and every time my friends go I recommend the leech smoothie. It’s sweet and frozen, but it’s not too overwhelming by any means. You can finish the entire large drink fairly easily. It’s a must have, in my opinion.”
Sass said he enjoys going to Bon Apple Tea with his friends and hanging out.
“They had the show ‘Friends’ going on in the background, and there were people doing homework, playing card games or just talking to one another,” Sass said. “It’s a great atmosphere. It’s a good way to keep my mind off of school and just enjoy a good night with my own friends.”