Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

Transcend offers support, community for transgender Aggies

Photo by Photo by Brandon Holmes

Transcend meets on Wednesday’s at 8:30 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center.

Transcend is a campus organization for transgender students at Texas A&M to make connections and find a home.
Transcend creates a safe space for transgender and gender-nonconforming people every to be themselves and learn how to take care of themselves physically and mentally. The group meets every Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. in MSC L526B.
Transcend prides itself on being safe, affirming and respectful to all members since the environment outside of their meetings can be harsh for members of the LGBTQ community, said engineering sophomore and Transcend president Angel Ayala.
“Something that really strongly affects the LGBTQ community is a feeling of isolation, and especially with trans or questioning people, it can feel like you’re the only one like yourself,” Ayala said. “There’s such a strong feeling of support in knowing you’re not alone, and sometimes our meetings are the only refuge trans people can get.”
Krista May, Transcend advisor and associate editor in the English department, said she believes one of the best things about Transcend is their sense of community.
“The most positive element is that it gives people a resource and support group and makes [members] feel less alone,” May said. “It puts them in touch with other transgender people and allies who support them.”
While the an organization open to allies as well, May said the club is set up specifically for transgender or questioning Aggies.
In addition to hosting socials and game nights to help members connect, the group also seeks provide education on pertinent topics.
“Many of our meetings provide helpful information relevant to transgender people, like navigating legality, how to locate gender-neutral restrooms on campus and important figures in the trans community,” Ayala said.
Recreation, park and tourism sciences senior Elena Scott said Transcend is a great place for transgender and questioning Aggies to find a community in a school that doesn’t always understand the issues they’re facing.
“[Transcend talks] about anything and everything LGBT+-related, from political issues to dealing with families and acceptance,” Scott said. “It’s a great organization, and I’m glad I found them.”