Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Under the sea of Fish Camp

Take a look behind the scenes of this summer tradition
Photo via via fishcamp.tamu.edu
Get a look into the inner workings of Fish Camp at Texas A&M University as we explore the application process and pre-camp preparations! (Photo via via fishcamp.tamu.edu)

As the semester unfolds, a group of students are already preparing for the upcoming Fish Camp, an integral part of Texas A&M’s traditions and community-building efforts.

Fish Camp stands as a cornerstone of campus culture, offering incoming freshmen a chance to connect with their peers during the summer. As the next iteration of the camp approaches, prospective leaders are busy navigating the application process and gearing up for a semester filled with preparation.

“Right now, we are about to begin counselor interviews, which I am super excited about,” Management information systems junior Grant Taylor said. “I can’t wait to meet all the potential counselors.”

In addition to submitting applications, candidates undergo an interview process to ensure they possess the qualities necessary to serve as mentors and role models. All applications and interviews are conducted by chairs, a student that leads 24 counselors, overlooking an entire camp with a partnered co-chair. 

“Personally, I am looking for counselors who are passionate about Fish Camp and are ready to fully commit to it,” Taylor said. “Being excited and eager to dive into Fish Camp is definitely a quality I look for in potential counselors.”

While applicants are submitting applications and preparing for potential interviews, chairs are getting ready to embark on a semester-long journey of training and preparation, honing their leadership skills and developing strategies to make the upcoming Fish Camp experience memorable. By being the guideline for the counselors, a team of two chairs manage a whole camp together.

“My role is to guide my counselors in the right direction, encouraging and correcting them along the way,” Taylor said. “I firmly believe that respect goes both ways, so if I respect my counselors as equals, I believe they will respect me in return.”

Communication junior Leah Shaw, a chair, said she feels the internal rankings of Fish Camp are more relaxed than other organizations.

“Honestly, I feel like we are all college kids and different titles bring different responsibilities more so than authorities,” Shaw said. “I want to be friends with my counselors and freshmen for us to have mutual respect for one another.”

As the team of Fish Camp continues to grow, prospective counselors are eager for the summer. Data engineering sophomore Sydney Flake is ready to make a positive impact on the Class of 2028 in her second year as a counselor.

“I’m eager for this summer, honestly,” Flake said. “I know camps will be different as a second year but that’s something I’m really looking forward to. I want that leadership experience and the extra responsibilities that come with it.”