Vet school open house allows for paws-on experience with animals

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

The Open House featured various activities for visitors, including a petting zoo.

The sights, sounds and even the smells of the animal kingdom took over the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Saturday at the Texas A&M Vet School Open House. 
The event featured a variety of animal demonstrations intended to teach participants about human-animal interaction. One of the more popular attractions was a demonstration put on by the Bryan Police Dogs in which the dogs and their handlers demonstrated what the K9s have learned in their line of work. 
Alex Goldsmith, civil engineering sophomore, saw the demonstration and said he was impressed with the dogs’ abilities. 
“It’s amazing to see everything that the dogs are able to do,” Goldsmith said. “These dogs have been trained so well it’s hard to think they are the same animal as your pet at home.”
The open house also offered visitors the chance to learn about fistulated cows, or cows that have their stomachs surgically “pierced.” The holes in the cows’ stomachs allow for scientists to easily access and learn about the cow’s digestive system and to remove and use the healthy digestive fluid in the cows. The fluid can then be transplanted into other cows that needs it. Quite often the fistulated cows are literally lifesavers for the other cows. 
Justin Dunn, a biomedical science senior, was one of the visitors brave enough to experience putting his hand in a fistulated cow through the opening.
“It’s a really weird feeling,” Dunn said. “It’s like the cow’s stomach is grabbing your hand back. The whole thing is surprisingly muscular. The idea that this cow has been used to save so many other cows through this procedure is really cool too.”
Roxanna Jeffreys, veterinary student and publicity chair for the open house, said the team of students who have put on the event aim to find fun ways to engage the public in their work. 
“It is our chance to show the community what veterinary medicine is about, and why it is so important to both animals and people,” Jefferys said.