West Campus living room

Photo by Photo by Adam Luqman

The White Creek Community Center grand opening featured a cake with a picture of the building.

Walking into the new White Creek Community Center, visitors are greeted with modern furniture, ceiling high windows and a clean, sleek look.
While the facility officially opened in May, the center’s grand opening was held on Sept.14. During the celebration, the hallways were lined with maroon and silver balloons as students enjoyed complimentary refreshments. The staff from the Department of Residence Life welcomed guests, offering Residence Life T-shirts and a sheet cake with an image of the new building.
Similar to the Commons role on the south side of campus, the new facility offers a range of useful spaces for students living in the White Creek area, according to Residence Life director of administrative & support services Carol Binzer.
“When we built the apartments, when they opened in 2015, they have a little activity center, but for the 1,200 or so residents, it’s really not sufficient,” Binzer said. “There’s been a plan to come over here and build a variation on the Commons. This is true to form, a way to provide some amenity space.”
The new building includes game rooms, an open access lab with 36 computers, an outdoor basketball court, a volleyball court, food options, video games and music practice rooms.
“It’s really excellent in design, it feels expansive,” Binzer said. “It’s really a beautiful space as well. I would be distracted sitting in the computing lounge looking out. It’s just pleasant to look, whether its good weather or not, with all the natural light that comes in.”
Residence Life worked to incorporate interesting art pieces similar to those found in the Commons and Hullabaloo Hall. The game rooms feature neon letters that spell out “Howdy,” and at night, the glowing greeting can be seen from outside the building.
“It’s even the small details that were attended to and that makes me proud,” Binzer said. “We’ve worked hard to incorporate pieces of art that either Aggie artists or The Association of Former Students commission. It’s been great to try and do some of that.”
Sustainability is also included in the design, with recycling containers and water bottle filling stations. The cafe includes a made-to-order sandwich station, a pizza bar and a pasta bar available for meal trades. The convenience store and creekside market are open from 7 a.m. to midnight during the week and 9 a.m. to midnight on weekends.
“Our students who live here have options to eat,” Binzer said. “Students don’t have to travel across campus to eat or use the daily food truck. Convenience store, grab and go for meal trades. That sense that we are out in the middle of nowhere on campus is diminished.”
While the game rooms are only for White Creek apartment residents, the dining hall, open access labs and other facilities are for all students. Former White Creek residents who moved out last year are welcome to come use the amenities, according to Dan Mizer, senior associate director in the Department of Residence Life.
“We were delayed in getting it opened,” Mizer said. “That was probably the biggest challenge. We wish it would have opened last spring semester, so residents of White Creek could have the opportunity to use it. I’d like to see more White Creek residents come over and use it. I’d like to see this place packed every day.”
The grand opening gave the Residence Life team an opportunity to welcome students and staff and display their hard work, according to academic support initiatives program coordinator Sara McCoy.
“We are so excited that the building is open and we are able to welcome in the campus community,” McCoy said. “It’s really the living room of west campus, so we look forward to seeing all the students and faculty and staff.”
The White Creek community center is serving students and providing a place to recuperate on west campus.
“It’s really nice to study and chill in,” agricultural communication and journalism junior Sydney Price said. “I come here all the time and sit here in the morning to collect myself before the day because it’s very quiet and nice.”

• The White Creek Community Center’s grand opening showed off the wide variety of amenities for students on West Campus.

Photo by Photo by Adam Luqman