No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Wolf Pen Creek concert series

Photo by Photo by: Bianca Lu
Members of the band Dysfunkshun Junkshun performing on stage during concert series

This summer Wolf Pen Creek amphitheater will host musical talents spanning from Two Tons of Steel to Shane Smith and the Saints. The Starlight Music series, put on by the City of College Station, is open to all College Station residents and offer an interactive  way to spend a Saturday.

Attendees of the Starlight music series concerts come in all ages, and the concerts have activities that cater to this audience. Aside from live music, the events also contain play areas for children complete with jumping castles and a miniature train ride, a variety of food from sponsors and prize giveaways. The concert series started April 16 and the last concert will be held July 2.

In the time leading up to the last show, community members will vote for which bands they want to see perform. The artists with the most votes will close the series with a final performance.

Clara Kjerfve, local College Station resident who has been attending events at Wolf Pen Creek since she was in middle school, said that events like the Starlight Music Series are great ways for the community to come together.

“A lot of people who come to the concerts are families because it is a really great event for families to come and get to spend quality time together at.”

This past weekend was the most recent Starlight concert and featured the bands Memphis Train Revue, GAB. Ayers G.R.A.C.E and Dysfunkshun Junkshun.

Dysfunkshun Junkshun, the second band that played Saturday, said that they are known as one of the best show bands in the southwest. Their set list included renditions of classics such as “Superstition” and “My Girl” as well as new hits like “Wobble.” Originating in Austin, this group of friends have been playing shows together for 20 years come June and said that College Station is always a favorite city to play in.

“College Station is really cool. We are an Austin based band and play nationally, but College Station really knows how to have fun,” lead singer Brother Magnum said. “We used to play a lot of the Greek shows for Fraternities and Sororities and people tend to be a little more free to get loose and enjoy the music.”

Dysfunkshun Junkshun members said that the reason they have played together for so long is all due to the experience they want to give their audience.

“We absolutely enjoy what we do and we do our best every show to make people forget about all the negativity and the frustrations that they have in their lives and just let go for a little while.”

Natalie Grote, agriculture leadership and development senior, said that she would love to see more community events similar to this one and spoke about the atmosphere that these events bring to College Station.

“Community events like these concerts expose the talents and culture of this area while bringing together all different kinds of people in a really happy atmosphere.”