Yoga culture finds B-CS niche

Nikita Redkar — THE BATTALION
Yoga Pod students participate in a yoga class that focuses on breathing, meditating and body movements.
Nikita Redkar — THE BATTALION Yoga Pod students participate in a yoga class that focuses on breathing, meditating and body movements.

Yoga practices and its mental, physical and spiritual benefits have experienced growth in the Western regions of the world, including Bryan-College Station.
In response to misconceptions surrounding yoga, Mia Neuenhoff, instructor and manager at Yoga Pod, one of the outlets in Bryan-College Station that provides yoga training, said attempting to understand yoga is the first step to demystifying it.
“It is Eastern-based,” Neuenhoff said. “It’s more of a spiritual practice — the postures are only one part of it. As far as the Western view of it as fitness, I think fitness is what brings them through the door.”
Bridgette Russell, intern at Yoga Pod and sports management graduate student, said yoga isn’t exclusively for women but for men and children as well, to make them more aware of their own physiological makeup.
“I think it really helps people learn more about yoga and how yoga can really help you as opposed to just losing weight or going through a practice not even thinking about it, not really trying to get the full benefits,” Russell said.
There is more to yoga than the exercise aspect of it, Neuenhoff said. Practicing yoga as part of a holistic lifestyle pays mental benefits as well.
“It’s like an iceberg where the tip of it is the physical and that’s what you see, but it’s what’s below the surface that’s the bigger part of it,” Neuenhoff said. “They start to realize it. They know they’re feeling better ­— more than just physically and they know they’re happier when they leave and they want more of that.”
Exercising with yoga positively affects many different body systems and promotes good health longevity, Neuenhoff said.
“It affects your skeletal system, your muscular system, your circulatory system, your respiratory system — all of this is affected by yoga in a good way,” Neuenhoff said. “They feel good because things are flowing — their energy is flowing, their lymphatic system is flowing, everything’s flowing — they have better circulation. ”
Breathing patterns are also key when it comes to yoga, Neuenhoff said.
“The physical may be what brings them in, but as they get into the breath work, they start to realize there’s more to it. The breath helps calm,” Neuenhoff said. “It helps to control emotions. You just start to feel better emotionally when you do yoga.”
Jen Boone, Yoga Pod instructor and renewable natural resources senior, said she makes it her goal to ease her students into yoga and the holistic lifestyle in order for them to eventually improve their health in all aspects.
“It’s [the holistic lifestyle] basically just nourishing your body physically, mentally, spiritually,” Boone said. “So that can be your food, your exercise, but also through searching out things that are fulfilling to you.”
Yoga Pod is hosting a New Year Yoga Party from 4:30-9:00 p.m. Tuesday that will include free yoga classes, door prizes, food and the chance to win apparel from Lululemon.