Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

10th annual College Sport Lecture Series to host 3 sports industry professionals, inform students

Hosted by the Laboratory for the Study of Intercollegiate Athletics and the Division of Sports Management, the 10th annual College Sport Lecture Series will provide an opportunity for students to acquire knowledge and information about the sports industry from a panel.
The panel will consist of three professionals in the sports field including Conference USA commissioner Judy MacLeod, Sun Belt conference commissioner Karl Benson and vice president for athletics at the University of Houston Hunter Yurachek. Additionally, the panel will be moderated by vice chancellor for university advancement at Arkansas State and A&M former student Jason Penry. The lecture series will headline the topic, “The Future of the Group of Five Conferences,” followed by a question and answer session with the audience.
M.S. sport management and graduate assistant Juanita Rodriguez said the series is meant to learn more about the careers they are able to pursue.
The purpose of the College Sport Lecture Series (CSLS) is to provide a unique experience for students to gain knowledge from sport industry professionals,” Rodriguez said.
Shane Hudson is the assistant professor and internship coordinator in the Department of Health and Kinesiology Division of Sport Management. He said the goal of the event is to benefit every student at Texas A&M.
“We want to bring college athletics to campus, we want to bring great speakers, and we want to impact our students,” Hudson said. “Not just our students, but these lecture series that we have are really for any student that wants to come. And so we encourage any major, if they see an interest in one of our lecture series to make some time and show up for it.”
Jason Penry, moderator for the panel and former employee at the 12th Man Foundation, said he wants the attendees to walk away with as much knowledge as possible.
“I hope our audience has a better understanding after the panel discussion tomorrow about the Group of Five conferences, and it’s placed in an interconnected ecosystem so to speak in intercollegiate athletics,” Penry said. “And while we will probably find that there are differences such as resources, there are also a lot of similarities between the Group of Five and the so called Power Five conferences.”
Penry said the event organizers are devoted to helping students in any way possible, and this lecture series is simply another way to assist.
“The sports management program at Texas A&M is near and dear to my heart and I’ve always been really impressed by the professors in the sports management program,” Penry said. “They really care about their students and want them to have successful careers.”
According to Penry the information presented will be essential for sports management majors in the future.
“I would say as I learn more about the members of the Group of Five conferences … in a competitive marketplace, we’re happy to be in the FBS and competing against the Power Five conferences,” Penry said. “To be able to explore the similarities and differences, especially as it relates to resources, between the two conferences. I think it will be a great opportunity for sports management students in particular to have a better understanding of it all.”