12th Man licence plate to be auctioned for use

While driving through Aggieland, it’s become common to see Texas A&M license plates on the bumpers of many devoted
Aggie fans.
While the maroon and white plates with “NO1FAN” or “GIGEM” have become regulars on the roadway, there is one unique plate that has yet to be claimed.
The “12THMAN” Texas A&M license plate has never been used before. That is, until Texas A&M and MyPlates.com announced on June 1 that the one and only plate will be auctioned to the highest bidder.
“The 12th Man tradition at Texas A&M dates back to 1922 and signifies the loyalty and selfless service that is embodied by Aggies everywhere,” said Texas A&M Senior Associate Athletics Director Jason Cook.
The legend of the 12th Man dates back to E. King Gill as he was called from the stands to suit up and stood ready to play. Gill later said, “I wish I could say that I went in and ran for the winning touchdown, but I did not. I simply stood by in case my team needed me.”
Now one Aggie fan will have a chance to claim the same title as Gill every time they start their vehicle or pull into a parking spot.
The auction will be held online with bidding opening on Aug. 12 and ending Sept. 12, just two days before A&M hosts defending national champion Alabama at Kyle Field.
“As a special honor, we’ll present the 12THMAN license plate to the My Plates auction winner in front of nearly 90,000 fans during the Texas A&M vs. Alabama game Sept. 14th,” Cook said.
Proceeds from the MyPlates.com 12THMAN Auction will benefit Texas A&M University and the General Revenue Fund
of Texas.
Kim Miller Dummond with MyPlates.com said that while bidding does not begin until August, there are already 142 people who have registered interest in bidding as of
Monday afternoon.
This is the first time the 12THMAN plate has ever been available and while the winner will own it for a 10-year term, they will then have the option to transfer or sell the plate to someone else.
Previously only six letter plates were available to be personalized. When the State made seven letter plates available in 2011, MyPlates.com reserved the 12THMAN plate
for auction.
Auctions by MyPlates.com are nothing new though as the license plate FERRARI sold for $15,000 in 2011 as the first plate ever auctioned. In Texas, the ROCKETS license plate sold in January for $16,500, while the most expensive plate ever sold in Texas was sold for $25,000 in January and read HOUSTON.
Since 2009, more than 150,000 My Plates have been purchased, putting more than $17.4 million in the general revenue fund. Texas A&M-related proceeds from My Plates have supported championship opportunities for Aggie student-athletes, both in the classroom and in competition, as well as funding for the Corps of Cadets and the Bonfire Memorial.