12th Man towel proceeds to go toward flood relief efforts

Photo by Photo By: Olivia Adam
South Carolina Flood Relief

12th Man towels are a widespread way for students to support A&M’s football team on Saturdays, but these symbols of the Aggie spirit will be used for more than cheering on the Aggies this week — they will lend a hand for South Carolina flood relief efforts.
The Student Athlete Advisory Committee, SAAC, has teamed up with the 12th Man Foundation to sell special 12th Man towels. The proceeds will go towards South Carolina flood relief efforts. The $5 towels feature the word “together” with an outline of South Carolina instead of an “o” in addition to the iconic “Home of the 12th Man” stamp.
South Carolina experienced extensive flooding in early October that saw over 10 dam breaches and several deaths. Jewel May, Life Skills & Career coordinator for Texas A&M Athletics, said the SAAC had a meeting shortly after the floods to discuss supporting South Carolina.
“This was discussed the next day with our athletic director and administration, and they suggested we do [12th Man] towels,” May said. “You can’t plan for a natural disaster, so we’ve been moving pretty quickly to pull the effort together. The support from the student-athletes has been great, and athletics staff, as well as our partners Whataburger, The Eagle and KAGS have responded accordingly as well.”
Kelli Benjamin, SAAC president, interdisciplinary studies senior and member of the Texas A&M swimming and diving team, said 10,000 towels have been made. Benjamin said the proceeds will be split between three causes.
“Eighty percent of the funds will go to the South Carolina Flood Relief, 10 percent to the Brazos Valley Food Bank and 10 percent to the 12th Can,” Benjamin said.
May said there are multiple opportunities for students to purchase the towels throughout the week.
“Towels can be purchased this week at Rudder Plaza from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Kevin Sumlin’s radio show [Tuesday] at Rudy’s from 7 to 8 p.m. and at the football game at various locations around Kyle Field,” May said.
May said she is unsure if this is the first time the SAAC has done an impromptu fundraiser like this, but it is the first time since A&M joined the SEC.
“Aggies CAN is in its 15th year, and we are excited about the 12th Man backing the South Carolina Flood relief efforts as well as the local impact we stand to have,” May said. “We had already tabbed the South Carolina game as Aggies CAN, so it seemed both appropriate and opportune.”
Sarah Shaw, programs chair for SAAC and Aggie soccer player, said it is awesome for A&M to put aside the sports competition to help this cause.
“Obviously, we’re very competitive in the SEC, we want to win everything, compete against everyone, but being able to put that aside and just support other schools, that’s really what is so great about the SEC,” Shaw said. “All the schools get along and they really just want to help each other out.”