5 takeaways from Sunday evening’s presidential debate

Battalion Assistant News Editor Brad Canon gives his five takeaways from Sunday Evening’s presidential debate

1- Calm, Cool and Collected Trump

Donald Trump kept it together for the entire debate and it was a step in the right direction and a surprise. Trump many times throughout the debate can’t help himself but interject while Clinton is speaking, but did a much better job of answering questions and laying out plans for the direction he wants to take the country — something he didn’t do in the first debate.

2- Hillary, stop laughing

Although many may agree that what Trump says is ridiculous at times during the debate, it doesn’t help Clinton to laugh at topics many Americans most likely take very seriously. The citizens watching the debates want a candidate to take their opinions seriously, whether she agrees with them or not.

3- Policy was finally discussed; Trump took advantage

Sunday night’s debate gave Missouri citizens the opportunity to ask both candidates their own questions mostly regarding taxes, foreign policy and immigration. Trump stayed collected in his responses and maintained his usual Type A demeanor, but did not lose his cool.

4- Time’s up for Trump, what about Clinton?

The moderators did not give Clinton and Trump a level playing field during the debates. Multiple times Trump was told he was out of time and whenever Clinton went over she was rarely interrupted, a point that Trump brought up a couple of times throughout the debate. Martha Raddatz in particular showed what seemed to be a clear bias for Clinton, something that should never be seen on a national debate and will definitely be brought up in days to come.

5- Hillary did well, but Trump won

In the first debate Clinton was the clear victor, but this was not the case Sunday night. Clinton did not take advantage of Trump’s weak points where she could have exploited him and made headway. Clinton did a solid job of bringing up reasons Republican voters may be fleeing the Trump campaign, but Trump laid out policy — something voters appreciate — while attacking Hillary continuously like he always does. Overall, a good win for Trump going into the last debate.