Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) sliding into second base during Texas A&M’s game against Rice at Olsen Field on Tuesday, May 7, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 3 Aggies open series with 4-3 loss to Rebels

For the second weekend in a row, Texas A&M earned another lesson in the parity of baseball in the SEC. A week after losing two of three...

67th Roundup revisits campus

Texas A&M kicked off the 67th annual state-wide 4-H Roundup with a scholarship banquet Monday at Reed Arena.
4-H, a national youth leadership development organization for students ages 8 to 18, hosts Roundup for students from all over Texas to compete and showcase their technical and leadership skills.
With so many visitors staying in College Station, Chris Boleman, Class of 1996 and Texas 4-H program director, said he hopes the A&M community will show its hospitality.
“The first thing that we like to tell folks is if you see a bunch of kids running around in their 4-H green with their badges on, just welcome them to our community, welcome them to our campus, let them know how much we appreciate them being here,” Boleman said. “We’ll probably have about 4,500 people come in from out of town.”
The majority of Roundup’s activities will take place in Reed Arena. Boleman said events will range from livestock judging to photography contests.
“Our goal is to make sure that leadership is being taught,” Boleman said. “We’re developing life skills for our future leaders.”
Lawson Hamilton, sophomore political science major and president of Texas A&M’s 4-H chapter, attributed his life skills and experience to his time as a 4-H member.
“The countless number of projects that I’ve been in gave me those experiences that formed me as a person,” Hamilton said. “It opens doors to great opportunities. I got to go to Washington, D.C. and meet the Secretary of Agriculture through 4-H.”
Kacie Gallegos, Class of 2014, who previously served as president of Texas A&M’s 4-H chapter said she enjoyed her four years in the organization.
“It opened doors, like Lawson said, and has been a great networking opportunity and I met lots of friends through it,” Gallegos said.
2.3 million dollars in college scholarships were given to 200 4-H members Monday morning, according to a 4-H press release.
Hamilton said he was happy to see so many members receiving scholarships at this year’s Roundup.
“It’s amazing to be here and see over 4,000 ‘4-Hers’ all here together and the amazing generosity of everyone,” Hamilton said. “You see how great the 4-H program is.”
Following Monday’s scholarship presentations, the rest of the week will be devoted to competitions, presentations and other events. A&M students and other locals are more than welcome to visit Reed Arena this week and explore the exhibits that the 4-H members are putting on, Boleman said.
“Tuesday through Thursday we’ll have a trade show,” Boleman said. “We’ll have about 50 booths set up, and every night we have assemblies and so they can come watch the kids being recognized.”
If students want to attend more than just Roundup, they have the opportunity to join A&M’s 4-H chapter this fall,” Gallegos said.
“We’ll have a table at the MSC Open House in September,” Gallegos said. “We welcome members all year long and 4-H is open to everyone.”
Roundup will continue through Friday.