Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

A blow to the First Amendment

CBS is simply wrong for refusing to air commercials sponsored by groups like MoveOn.org and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Have they forgotten about that little clause of the First Amendment guaranteeing free speech to all Americans? Or have they just been co-opted by the Bush administration’s policy?
Let’s not forget there was just a bill passed tailored to large corporate media outlets like CBS and Fox. And, not surprisingly, we will see an ad sponsored by the White House.
CBS gives as its reason that it will not show “controversial” advertisement, yet it has shown equally-controversial ads linking drug traffic to terrorism.
Furthermore, there is nothing controversial about MoveOn’s ad, which cites the fact that the Bush administration has created a $1 trillion deficit, a number actually proven low by the Congressional Budget Office’s numbers released Jan. 26.
If you are incensed by this affront to the liberties guaranteed by our Constitution, please contact CBS and let them know. And sign the petition at MoveOn.org. This is about more than an ad; it’s about free speech.