A blow to the First Amendment

CBS is simply wrong for refusing to air commercials sponsored by groups like MoveOn.org and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Have they forgotten about that little clause of the First Amendment guaranteeing free speech to all Americans? Or have they just been co-opted by the Bush administration’s policy?
Let’s not forget there was just a bill passed tailored to large corporate media outlets like CBS and Fox. And, not surprisingly, we will see an ad sponsored by the White House.
CBS gives as its reason that it will not show “controversial” advertisement, yet it has shown equally-controversial ads linking drug traffic to terrorism.
Furthermore, there is nothing controversial about MoveOn’s ad, which cites the fact that the Bush administration has created a $1 trillion deficit, a number actually proven low by the Congressional Budget Office’s numbers released Jan. 26.
If you are incensed by this affront to the liberties guaranteed by our Constitution, please contact CBS and let them know. And sign the petition at MoveOn.org. This is about more than an ad; it’s about free speech.