Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

A capella group to perform Saturday

Apotheosis, a Texas A&M all-male a capella organization, will perform classic and contemporary Christmas music for their annual fall performance in Rudder Theater on Saturday.
A cappella music, in its true form, is music without instruments. The 10 men of Apotheosis aim to make music and entertain people. These men accomplish both of those goals, resulting in a beautiful and melodic blend of voices coupled with entertainment.
We sing and have fun, said Ryan Erwin, senior political science major and president of Apotheosis. Maybe in the reverse order, but we do both of those things one way or the other.
Apotheosis puts on two concerts each year in the spring and fall. Chelsea South, accounting graduate student and fan of Apotheosis said the group incorporates a variety of musical styles, including beatboxing.
They come up with all their own creative arrangements, South said. One of my favorite things about their Christmas concert is that I literally sit on the edge of my seat, smiling like a fool, for the entire time they sing. They really get the crowd involved.
The groups Christmas show is free to the public, but Justin Bailey, junior economics major and treasurer of Apotheosis said it is recommended to bring two canned goods for Brazos County Food Bank.
It costs two canned goods, Bailey said. Its a free show but it is suggested that you bring them. All of the canned goods go to Brazos Valley Food Bank. Last year, I think, we had the largest private donation.
Ryan McClure, senior English literature major and member of Apotheosis, said the group originated in 1997 with a small group of guys singing in their apartments. Currently, Apotheosis is asked to sing for many different occasions, including events on campus and the surrounding B-CS area, sorority functions, student organization meetings, a few weddings, Aggie Moms club events and even an engagement under the Century Tree.
To become a member of Apotheosis, applicants must complete an audition process.
The person who wants to audition must have a solo prepared, Erwin said. They must sight read and be able to match pitch. If they get past that first audition, they make callbacks. If they make callbacks, the second audition is more rigorous.
There will be auditions for new members the week after MSC Open house in January.