A clear choice

With a crowded field of candidates jockeying to be student body president, students must sort through a torrent of campaign flyers and similar-sounding platforms before casting their ballots. Luke Cheatham, with his willingness to take action and his constructive advocacy on students’ behalf, stands above the rest.
Student government has often disappointed in its representation of students, and a glance at the other candidates underscores why. The four candidates with extensive experience in student government have said that students voted against fee increases in the February referendum because they were not adequately informed. Students deserve a representative who will keep the student body informed, voice concerns to University leaders and not serve simply as administrators’ liaison to students.
Although lacking in student government experience, Cheatham has a proven leadership record with results. Unity Project’s off-campus bonfire was a controversial undertaking, but Cheatham persevered to put on a successful event focused on safety, inclusion and student participation. Cheatham will bring such energetic leadership to student government.
Cheatham said he will reinvigorate diversity initiatives by ending the separatist attitude that isolates ethnic groups from each other and will renew an aborted attempt by student government to provide a student response to Vision 2020. Cheatham, who will continue living in Walton Hall next year, will be accessible to students in a way other candidates cannot be. Cheatham voted against the fee increases and said that before students are saddled with tuition or fee hikes, the University should first demonstrate that it has improved efficiency and cut expenses.
Student government has little real power, and can only serve as a representative for students, but even this role is often neglected. Cheatham’s advocacy will be a more accurate reflection of students’ views and will, in the long run, be more effective than the lackluster representation of the past. Administrators cannot consider students’ views unless student leaders present it to them.