A farewell from Austin

I’m going to miss Texas A&M.
There, I said it.
Every other student at UT is eager to bid good riddance to the Aggies, to wish them mediocrity in their future stint in the Southeastern Conference, to laugh at the prospect of a schedule that could include Alabama and Louisiana State.
But this is too sad a day to do that. And it could have been avoided.
Texas should have compromised its provisions of the Longhorn Network — mainly, its desire to air high school games and highlights once it became apparent at Big 12 Media Days that doing so would jeopardize the future of the conference.
Not to say the Longhorns should take commands from the other nine schools — no school should have to do that. But the Aggies threatened and threatened, and Texas refused to be more sensitive about the network. The stupid game of chicken ended in a way nobody ever thought it would.
The Big 12 loses a marquee team and Texas and Texas A&M both lose a fantastic rivalry. The Longhorns will always have the Sooners to root against, but the dynamics are different. The game mattered to this state, and fans were so proud of that. The best burger joint in Austin, Mike’s Pub, is owned and operated by a Texas A&M alum. You’re blasted by maroon the moment you step foot inside. Frequenters take to arguing against the owner every chance they get — who has the better quarterback, who has the better team, who’s coach is on the hottest seat? Now what are they going to have to fight about anymore?
I’m sure you all will wish for the two schools to keep playing on Thanksgiving night. I agree. But I don’t think that’s going to happen for a while. Texas’ pride was hurt too much when the Aggies finally stood up for themselves, said they couldn’t take anymore of it and changed allegiances. Things will be bitter for a while.
A&M will be fine with that, though I worry about its ability to find a natural rivalry — Mississippi State looks like a good bet. Nevertheless, you get home games every other year from Bama and LSU, Auburn and Arkansas. You’ll know firsthand that’s a lot better than a home schedule that includes Kansas, Iowa State and Kansas State.
Traveling might be an issue now — your closest away game will be Lousiana. But you folks are a passionate bunch, I’ve learned. There’s no other home environment like you. The Twelth Man, yell leaders and Reveille earn their fair share of scorn, but Texas will grow to miss the quirky Spirit of Aggieland.
If there’s one silver lining about this separation, it’s that the Texas-Texas A&M game this season will be maybe the biggest in the rivalry’s history.
Winner gets to brag for a decade.
Trey Scott is a junior journalism major at the
University of Texas and sports editor for The Daily Texan