A laughing matter

While some students enjoy spending time going to comedy clubs or watching some of their favorite comedians on television, one Texas A&M student decided to give comedy a shot in what started out as a hobby. That hobby has grown into a fullblown routine for Kamran Hamid, a senior biomedical sciences major, who will perform Friday night in Rudder Auditorium at 10 p.m.
Hamid started doing comedy because he needed a part-time job and had no intention of serving food or doing manual labor.
“I was watching my favorite comedian, Dave Chapelle, and I needed to get a job but didn’t want to do real work, so people told me to try stand-up,” Hamid said. “Much to my parents chagrin, I gave it a shot.”
Hamid’s comedy took off faster than anyone, including himself, could have ever imagined.
When he performed at his first stand-up appearance, he drove past a world famous improv comedy club and thought he would love to perform there. Less than two months later the club called him.
Hamid was also voted as the top collegiate comedian in Texas in the Laugh Across America competition and was asked to perform at the Star Dust Casino in Las Vegas. In addition, he received offers for sitcom auditions in Los Angeles, but he declined.
“My sister is a freshman, and she didn’t know anyone here. I didn’t want to leave her here by herself,” Hamid said. “But, it’s flattering that people want me to come and be in their sitcoms.”
Hamid performed earlier this year at Reed Arena when he opened up for Mark Curry and Martin Short at First Yell. Many of those in attendance, including a critic from the Bryan-College Station Eagle, said that Hamid’s act was the best of the three.
Hamid thanked Rusty Thompson and Dave Salmon for booking him in the First Yell event because it opened doors of opportunity for the comedian.
While his audiences have loved his performances, Hamid’s parents have not been as open to the idea of him becoming a stand-up comic. His parents, originally from India, have traditional, conservative values, especially when it comes to his future, Hamid said.
Hamid has not exactly slacked off from his schoolwork. He was one of 15 students chosen from around the nation who were accepted to the Texas A&M School of Medicine while in high school. As part of the requirements for the program, he has also maintained at least a 3.5 GPR since he has been at A&M.
“My parents aren’t really fans of stand-up comedy,” he said. “But the way I look at it, I was an Eagle Scout, I was president of National Honor Society, and I’ve never touched tobacco or alcohol in my life. There are a lot worse things out there than making people laugh.”
One of Hamid’s best friends, senior biology major Abeezar Shipchandler, said he understands Hamid because both of his parents are from India as well.
“It’s funny because we’re both Indian, and we come up with the whole stereotypes of Indian families that we are supposed to be doctors and engineers,” Shipchandler said. “His parents are pretty strict about it, but I always say go with your heart. He has a great talent for it.”
Hamid said he hopes to use his comic relief as a pediatrician after he completes medical school.
“Kids are so impressionable, and it’s important for them to have a positive role model to look up to,” Hamid said. “When (you’re) a kid, you have a few people in your life that whenever you are around them, you feel like everything is going to be all right. I want to be that person.”
Hamid said that instead of trying to become famous and make lots of money, he hopes to write a screenplay or perform in movies so that he can travel and help those who cannot afford healthcare, especially children.
“I want to make people happy, but in the long run, I want to do that through medicine,” he said.