A nation divided

In diplomacy and international relations, war is seldom the first option. More often than not, there are many steps that leaders go through in the diplomatic process before finally looking to war as an option. When war occurs, it is always with a heavy heart that the task is assigned because it bears so much negativity. Diplomacy has failed, and the time to make a stand has come. Now, America must support its troops.
While thousands of Americans have openly protested military involvement with Iraq, they have done nothing but divide a country already at war. The effect of this on the American public is obvious — America has become a divided nation, with antiwar protesters on one side and those in favor of the war on another. The situation has split the country down the middle, forcing those with neutral opinions into uncomfortable situations. Some friendships are strained because people cannot agree on the situation.
In the midst of it all are the troops — the soldiers who may or may not want to be involved in this war. They are the ones who must fight the battles. They are the ones who face the real dangers, who may lose their lives for their country.
Not all of them are weathered marines who have spent years in training. Many are reserve members, some signing up so the government would help pay for their college education, others trying to escape civilian life. These soldiers have spouses, children and families. Yet they are serving their country because it is their duty and because they believe in fighting for their country. They are risking their lives for America, and somehow that has gotten lost in the debate.
The men and women fighting for America overseas deserve every ounce of support and respect that we can give them. It is time to come together as a nation to support the armed forces. Remaining a nation divided will only hurt the war effort.
A similar situation occurred in the Vietnam War. The nation was split over whether the campaign was truly necessary. Protests and riots were common, possibly harming troop morale. Without the backing of the nation, the troops lost sight of what they were fighting for and, in turn, support for the war waned. For this war to go smoothly and to end as soon as possible, it is necessary for us to lend our support.
One can only wonder if the recent attack on the 101st Airborne Division by a U.S. Marine was partially encouraged by the protesting. If America is divided at home, how can the troops be expected to ignore the antiwar sentiment?
This protesting benefits no one. It is time America gathered its strength and applauded its troops, because they are fighting for what this nation stands for. Spirit is what separates America from other countries. This nation must defend the troops who are doing the dirty work for all of us. We as Americans have to remember that.