Abbott appoints first Texas A&M University student regent

Alvaro “Gabe” Pereira of College Station became Gov. Greg Abbott’s first appointment for the position of student regent for the Texas A&M University System Thursday, replacing outgoing student representative Colton L. Buckley of Gatesville.

Pereira, a political science senior at Texas A&M, was chosen over prospective representatives from each system school, as well as the TAMU Health Science Center.

In a release, Cliff Thomas, Chairman of the TAMUS Board of Regents, said he looked forward to working with Pereira.

“The Board welcomes Mr. Pereira and we look forward to the benefit of his insight on vital matters from a student perspective,” Thomas said. “That perspective is critically important as we support all of our universities.”

TAMUS Chancellor John Sharp said the student regent plays a vital role in decision-making processes.

“The student regent always has a lot of new ideas and fresh ways of looking at our opportunities and challenges,” Sharp said. “I look forward to working with Mr. Pereira as he assumes his role as student regent.
Pereira will serve on the Board of Regents until his term expires May 31, 2016.