Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Additions to Aggieland

Each year Texas A&M welcomes students from across the world into the Aggie family and a long line of tradition.
Thousands of freshmen were greeted in Reed Arena by the deans of each college as they gave advice to students before their first day of class.
“Getting to see all of the other freshmen in one place together was really nice,” said Samantha Meadows, a freshman anthropology major.
Dr. Ian Tizard, professor of veterinary pathobiology, took the stage as the 2011 Freshmen Convocation faculty speaker to talk about the importance of research and share his years of experience.
“I liked Dr. Ian Tizard’s speech and analogies; they made me laugh,” said Mariah Stanley, freshmen forensic science major.
Dr. Tizard said coming from North Ireland to Texas A&M was a wonderful experience and that no matter where you come from, you will always be an Aggie.
Jeff Pickering, the student body president, took the stage next and led the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Class of 2015 in their first official wildcat.
“I liked the student body president’s speech about the convocation. It was really fun,” said Matthew Milanowski, freshman chemical engineering major.
After the speeches, the Singing Cadets performed the Aggie War Hymn, accompanied by the Class of 2015 for the first time.
“I can’t imagine the first football game, but that was definately my favorite part” said Caitlyn Espitia, freshman environmental design major.
Friends and family clapped and cheered for their Aggies and mingled with other new students to exchange stories and make friends in the halls of Reed Arena.
“I chose to come here because of family tradition,” Meadows said. “My whole family came here.”
In addition to strong family ties, other students came here for the Corps of Cadets and military training.
“I am at A&M because I am under marine contract and I like the whole atmosphere,” said Stanley. “I like being able to have military experience and still being able to have a social atmosphere and have friends outside of the corps.”
For many, the choice to come to the University was clear at a young age.
“I was an eighth-grader and I came with my dad to a football game. It was a sea of maroon people saying ‘Howdy!'” Alexis Rider, freshmen business administration major said.
Some Aggies came here to better the world.
“I wanted to help people for a long time so I thought about building things,” said Espitia. “I want to be an architect to help people.”
For others, it was a choice between the two biggest public schools in Texas.
“I was trying to choose the best schools for engineering and business, and it actually came down between UT and A&M,” Michael Pursell, freshman general studies major said. “I thought about it and I choose A&M.”
At the end of the convocation, the students were left with sentiment: “We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we.”
“It was the only college I applied for and, once I got here, I felt like a was part of something bigger than myself,” Rider said.