AfterDark is an Event for All

After Dark, a one night event consisting of speakers Joe White and Trevor Knight in addition to performances from Lecrae and Reed Robertson, will take place Thursday in Reed Arena.

JD Rodgers, the AfterDark event coordinator at Texas A&M says attending AfterDark is an easy way to shut out the stress of school for a while, have fun and refocus on life by, “considering what’s worth my time, energy and stress, Rodgers said.”

AfterDark marketing director Geoff Todd said this is not a church or ministry event, but a one-night event at which speakers will discuss the topic, “Is Jesus Relevant Today?”

“It’s a hype night that we hope offers hope to a campus,” Todd said.

Rodgers and Todd believe this topic is relevant to everyone regardless of beliefs, and both said it is important to know this is not a Christian event.

“Christian event implies only Christians are invited, and we want this to be a night open to anyone and everyone regardless of backgrounds and beliefs,” Todd said.

According to Todd, students who attend should expect a low-key environment perfect for hanging out with friends and talking about an awesome topic. The main speaker is Joe White, a former SMU defensive tackle, A&M assistant football coach, and current President of KanakukKamps.

“Joe White has a heart for college students, Trevor Knight will share about his story on and off the field, Reed Robertson is ready to play some tunes, and Lecrae will get the Aggies crazy,” Todd said.

Texas A&M senior volleyball captain and marketing major Katelyn Labhart ran across a summer camp site to sign up Texas A&M for an AfterDark event after hearing about AfterDark in a staff meeting for Kanakuk Kamp workers. For almost two years, Katelyn stayed in contact with Executive Director of AfterDark and A&M alumni Adam Martin, and prayed once a week with a group of students to get AfterDark to A&M.

This semester Katelyn is excited to see their time and hard work pay off. Ironically, because her volleyball commitments conflict logistically with the event, Katelyn will not be able to attend AfterDark.

“College is a formative time for all of us, and I am excited for this event to be here because of how students’ lives will be impacted.” Katelyn said. “AfterDark is a great way for students to mull over their feelings, and makes people think about who Jesus is and answer the question of is he relevant to me.”

Doors will open at 7:15 p.m., and students who want a good seat are encouraged to come early. Rodgers says AfterDark aims to fill all 9,309 seats in Reed Arena.