Texas A&M Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle stands in a huddle during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Schlossnagle reportedly taking head coaching job at Texas

Just one day after leading Texas A&M baseball to a runner-up appearance at the Men’s College World Series, coach Jim Schlossnagle is leaving...

Ag soccer faces ‘Hawks, Tigers

After a disappointing loss to Nebraska, the No. 19 Texas A&M soccer team will go on the road against Kansas and Missouri this weekend fighting to get back into the Big 12 race.
Soccer head coach G. Guerrieri said that A&M’s practices this week have been intense and that intensity should carry over into Friday’s game against Kansas.
“They are a collective mad, not mad at each other, but mad at the circumstances that let it get away,” Guerrieri said.
Despite the Aggie’s 9-0 all-time record against the Jayhawks and Tigers, the road will not be easy. Both teams already have nine wins this season and are ahead of A&M (6-3-1, 3-1-1) in the Big 12 standings.
Kansas (9-3, 5-1) is in the midst of its best season ever, setting team records for wins and conference wins.
However, the Jayhawks have never beat a ranked team, and all three of their losses this season have been to ranked teams, including a 2-0 loss to Nebraska.
“Kansas’ defense has improved a lot,” Guerrieri said. “Their weapons and attack are more fit and are more dangerous.”
Senior forwards Hilla Rantala and Natalie Hoogveld are part of the improved attack that has contributed to the team’s turn around.
Hoogveld scored a hat trick against Colorado last week, only the second in school history, and has seven goals this season.
Rantala is tied with Texas’ freshman forward Kelly Wilson and Missouri’s sophomore forward Adriene Davis as the top point-scorers in the Big 12. Rantala has eight goals and nine assists, totaling 25 points.
A&M’s closest point scorer is freshman forward Linsey Johnson who has 19 points with seven goals and five assists.
Missouri’s Davis is part of the reason that the Tigers are on pace to improve on last year’s 10-10 record. Like Rantala, Davis has eight goals and nine assists.
Missouri (9-4, 4-2), despite two Big 12 loses, are ahead of A&M in the Big 12 race because the rankings are based on a system that assigns points for wins and ties and not on winning percentage.
Megan Duncan, the Tiger’s sophomore goalkeeper, was named the Big 12 defensive player of the week last week after earning her fourth shutout of the season against Colorado and holding Texas Tech to one goal. Duncan has 62 saves and a 1.66 goals-against-average.
“They are both really good teams at home,” Guerrieri said. “This is a big weekend for us, made more difficult by having to go up there (to play these teams on the road).”
A&M’s senior forward Nicky Thrasher will take a hot streak into the games. The Hermann Award nominee has scored points in each of A&M’s last four games with an assist against Colorado, a goal and assist against Baylor and a goal against both Iowa State and Nebraska.
While Thrasher has six goals this season, Guerrieri said her most valuable asset was her ability to direct A&M’s offense.
“The biggest thing she is doing right now is that she is not trying to do everything,” Guerrieri said. “She is very good at helping us connect the midfield and the front line. She has been really effective at distributing the ball.”