Aggie Ability Awareness Workshop kicks off

A new semester-long series of workshops centered around disability awareness

is now open to all students.

Multiple disability departments at Texas A&M have partnered to create a semester-long workshop series to educate faculty on issues concerning disabilities.
A collaboration between the Center of Disability and Development, the Department of Disability Services and the Center for Teaching Excellence, the Aggie Ability Awareness Workshop is an effort to coordinate a universal design learning structure that anyone can benefit from, specifically people with disabilities. Through the workshop, the three departments hope to create a positive environment surrounding equality and acceptance towards specific needs of a variety of students.
The workshop will be held three other times this semester, one each month. Additionally, a forthcoming session for students will be available at the end of spring semester. The first open training workshop was held last Thursday in the MSC.
According to Meagan Sumbera, associate director for the Center of Disability and Development, the training will encourage an understanding of how disability rights parallel civil rights, as well as basic human rights.
“This is for any disability category that’s recognized under the American Disabilities Act,” Sumbera said. “Because a lot of times we are unable to see a disability, for example, ADHD, people with anxiety, dyslexia, those hidden disabilities. This is going to be helpful and beneficial, and be inclusive for all.”
Sumbera said the workshop is an attainable way to respond to the need for disability awareness training.
“An exciting thing that we’re doing now is we’re adding more courses, so once you’ve completed the Aggie Ability Awareness course, we’ll have a course on universal design — one specifically on accommodations, and then one specifically on person-centered practices,” Sumbera said.
Joe Hartsoe, coordinator of the Department of Disability Services, said the workshop presented ideas in which universal design can be applied in the classroom.
“Our hope is that these workshops will raise consciousness about disabilities on campus and allow individuals to better work with individuals with disabilities,” Hartsoe said. “We’re hoping that faculty will take away from the workshop, techniques for universal design and strategies for creating an inclusive space for all of their students, including their students with disabilities.”
Hartsoe said while accommodations may be made, the basic class coursework is no different for a student with a disability.
“Students with disabilities take the same classes as every other student. The way in which they do that may be a little different, so accommodations are made to the regular classes that they take,” Hartsoe said. “Most students use things like extended testing time or reduced distraction test environments, it’s not that they take different exams or that they take different courses, it’s just that they way in which the course is presented is done a little differently.”
Nate Poling, instructional consultant for the Center for Teaching Excellence, said the reason for the Aggie Ability Awareness Workshop is to adequately equip university faculty and staff with tools and knowledge to serve those with disabilities.
“This university is very diverse and we wanted to provide an interactive opportunity for participants to increase their awareness and knowledge of how to relate to and best serve people with differing abilities,” Poling said.
Sumbera said the hope is for the faculty and staff to share their newfound knowledge with their colleagues within their respective departments and colleges.
“I believe if you understand why this is important and you want to [know] more, then you will be more proactive in wanting to know more, and seeking additional resources and truly trying to put yourself in other’s shoes,” Sumbera said.