Aggie Allies to host fall welcome event

PrideCover
PrideCover

As Texas A&M’s LGBT community continues to grow, Aggie Allies are stepping up to support it by hosting events and promoting safe spaces.

The Aggie Allies organization will host their fall welcome event on Tuesday, Sept. 25 from 5:30 to 7:30pm in the Texas A&M Career Center.

“What we do is we provide training to faculty, staff and students throughout the university,” said Aggie Allies president Matt Hoffman. “It’s a free training and our curriculum is based on providing information, avid learning and even role-playing to create comfort and familiarity with issues as well as local resources that we have to support anyone that is in the GLBT community.”

Hoffman said there are various helpful resources available to students such as the GLBT resource center and multiple organizations on campus.

The Aggie Allies fall welcome event is an annual social event welcoming current Aggie Allies, as well as individuals who are interested in the organization and those who are seeking local helpful resources, Hoffman said. The event will host a local guest speaker who is also an Aggie Ally. Snacks will be provided at the event as well as a photo booth and other interactive activities.

Hoffman said Aggie Allies rely on donations and volunteer efforts to accomplish their goals.

“We are part of the offices of The Dean of Student Life,” Hoffman said. “Everything we do is based on donations that people make and just resources that all the volunteers pull together. That way we can keep doing what we’re doing for all our students and making A&M a little more diverse and inclusive.”

There will be several events for LGBT students and allies to participate in during Coming Out Week from Oct. 8-12. More information on upcoming events is available online at the GLBT Resource Center website.
For more information on Aggie Allies, visit allies.tamu.edu.