Aggie community offers lifetime of support to former students

Photo by Meredith Seaver

The Association of Former Students offers networking resources like the Find an Aggie directory, and A&M Clubs in numerous locations help bring Aggies together socially and professionally.

When Aggies graduate, there are many opportunities offered by the university and the Texas A&M community that remain with them for life.
Through systems like the Aggie Network, the Career Center and the Money Education Center, former students can seek advice and connect to all Aggies when in need of assistance, whether they’re settling into a new area, building successful career tools or redesigning their budget. Although these systems are based on campus, students can still access resources from other cities, states or countries.
Kathryn Greenwade, vice president for communications and human resources for The Association of Former Students, said there are resources for former students such as the Find an Aggie directory and A&M Clubs that connect Aggies in a given area.
“There are resources that can help former students professionally and socially,” Greenwade said. “And just to help them as they get settled in the next chapter of their life.”
The All-Aggie Grad Party is a way to learn about A&M Clubs and begin networking, Greenwade said. The event will be held on May 9 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., May 10 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and May 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Clayton W. Williams, Jr. Alumni Center.
“We invite all graduates to come by because that’s a great place where you can learn about A&M Clubs in your area; you can see Find an Aggie in action,” Greenwade said. “And it’s just a good way to meet people and begin networking.”
David Roach, money education advisor and Class of 2015, said the Money Education Center provides free resources to help Aggies by limiting the costs of attending college and helping them navigate financial barriers throughout their lives.
“[We are] helping them prepare for a lifetime of financial decisions,” Roach said. “Because there’s definitely a lot of them.”
The Money Education Center can advise former students either in person or over the phone by appointment. Roach said most former students who use their services are not in College Station, so he said to check time zones when scheduling an appointment.
“Our motto is ‘Once an Aggie, always an Aggie’ so we do visit with all former students,” Roach said. “They’re more than welcome at any point in time to take advantage of our services.”
Roach recommended recent graduates reestablish their financial goals and find a budgeting method.
“The big thing in all of this is that you’ll start to make some bigger financial decisions, so don’t be afraid to go slow with those and one at a time,” Roach said. “I think that most people find that to be very successful in the long run is to go slow with that and take goals one at a time.”
Samantha Wilson, executive director of the A&M Career Center, said they provide resources and tools to prospective, current and former students while they pursue endeavors.
“We provide comprehensive services and resources that assist students in achieving their goals after they leave Texas A&M University,” Wilson said.
The Career Center’s services can be accessed by former students by visiting aggienetwork.com and going to the careers page that has a list of everything they can offer, including networking opportunities and career advice.
“We do provide assistance locally, and our former student career services team has also traveled to a variety of locations to provide assistance to our former students,” Wilson said. “They have held meetings in Colorado and in Florida, and have also gone to companies facing layoffs to assist former students with creating resumes, developing professional networks, and using all the resources available to them.”
The Career Center is ready to help at any stage of life for the success of Aggies, whatever that might be. Wilson said the center can also connect former students who would like to offer their skills as a resource for current students seeking advice.
“It’s a lifelong journey,” Wilson said. “Texas A&M supports lifelong learning and we’re a part of that. The job market changes, how you find jobs changes. What you did 20 years ago to find a job is not necessarily the exact path you take today.”